Aftermarket upper plenums? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket upper plenums?

Ok, so I did the exhaust...........did the CAI, did a few other little mods..So of course it's time to line up the next mod. Been looking into these aftermarket upper plenums such as BBK, Trick Flow, and C&L...Leaning a bit more towards the C&L as from what I've gathered on the net yields the most consitant HP improvements and spreads it out along the powerband, and not just up top like the others.
Anybody have one of these installed on their Ex? Any difference in performance or MPG? The mustang forums claim that throttle response improves as well as MPG, but most of them are going with aftermarket 70mm TB as well. So that brings up another question....Will the upper plenum yield any performance gains matted to a stock TB, or would that need to be swapped out as well? I'm planning on a custom tune but want to get all my bolt on's in place before hand.
From what I see these upper plenums are a quick and inexpensive add on..Just looking for some feedback from fellow Ex owners as to their own experience with them.
Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

27 views and nobody wants to give their opinion?

just an FYI, whenever swapping intakes its always suggested swaping t-bodies and MAF.

What are "Aftermarket upper plenums?", and for mikey above, what is an intake?

What an intake is, is an intake manifold, which on todays vehicles has a lower and upper intake.

An air cleaner is a device with an air filter in it, the hoses leading from it to an intake(manifold) is an inlet hose. Please stop renaming parts which have been common place for decades, be more clear in your descriptions.

What are "Aftermarket upper plenums?", and for mikey above, what is an intake?

What an intake is, is an intake manifold, which on todays vehicles has a lower and upper intake.

An air cleaner is a device with an air filter in it, the hoses leading from it to an intake(manifold) is an inlet hose. Please stop renaming parts which have been common place for decades, be more clear in your descriptions.

Sorry there "don" for not being politically correct or whatever you want to call it....but the part is called an upper plenum, and if it seems like another language, here is a link of the trick flow models...

http://www.trickflow.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400098+4294925239+4294839079+115+308767&autoview=sku

I carry the C&L versions. There are two, one with small pcv and one with the large style pcv. You will see gains with the stock throttle body especially if you have stock manifolds,etc. -j

I carry the C&L versions. There are two, one with small pcv and one with the large style pcv. You will see gains with the stock throttle body especially if you have stock manifolds,etc. -j

Hey thanks alot James.........I emailed you in regards to this and your pricing as well. I've been reading about idling issues after the install of these, have you come across this or know what the cause is? From what I've gathered it looks to be related to the TPS, and that sometimes the fix is as easy as disconnecting the battery and allowing the PCM to relearn itself. Any truth to this?
I want to get a tune from you, but want to make sure I have all my bolt on's in order prior. :thumbsup:

Sorry there "don" for not being politically correct or whatever you want to call it....but the part is called an upper plenum, and if it seems like another language, here is a link of the trick flow models...

Sorry for stepping on your toes, but the title that people use for their threads is critical. I ignore almost all threads about air filters and air cleaners, but that is hard to do when people use a name for an intake manifold to describe their air cleaner.

I hadn't heard of a part for the Explorers called an upper plenum. With the brand names given it appeared like this was about an air cleaner inlet hose. I understand about the elbow or throttle body plenum, those can be a restriction. There are people who can port those and gain as much as that new one I would bet. Watch the transitions of the parts on the inlet side, that is where most gains are had. Regards,

Back