• Register Today It's free!

Air Bag Susp.

JamesSmooth

Reaction score
City, State
Utica, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
where can i find an air bag suspension for my '95 XLT???
so far im striking out so any help is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not exactly sure, but I thought I saw some on 4wheelparts website. What kind are you looking for?

I just checked the website, and I couldn't find it. I saw it a while ago. Sorry

if u r talking about an air bag suspension to drop the truck to the ground i'd call some big aftermarket shops near ya, they have contacts to maufactures of that stuff

It's not very likely that you will find an air bag "kit" for your X. Most of the time you just have to fabricate your own mounts and such, it usualy turns out cheaper when you do this anyway and you will get it how you want it not how the origional designer wanted it.

If you do find a kit, make sure you post it here so that others interested will have an easier time finding it, and will thank you greatly for that.

Nope there are no "kits" made. You'll have to just take it to a shop and have them do it, or collect the different pieces of the setup and do it yourself. Taking it to a shop will cost you at LEAST $2,500 for a good setup.

If you want to know more about this, go to RangerPowerSports.com and click on forums. There are tons of bagged Rangers on that forum, and the Ranger suspension is similar to the Explorer. They can help ya.

muchos gracias, guys...

ill start doing my homework and ill keep the forum updated on anything i find.

thanks again!

okay so i signed up at the ranger page and it wont let me post a thread to ask about components....

so i guess im onto plan B

if anybody has suggestions please let me know!

I would be interested in knowing how this can be done. I have a friend who put rods in his Accord yesterday and I'm getting very JEALOUS!

air bags are easy... you just cut out the existing stuff weld a mount in for them stick em in there and run lines to a big ol compressor somewhere, a shop that has experience doesn't need a kit or anything like that its almost the same process on any vehicle including the explorers.

Originally posted by expo5.0
air bags are easy... you just cut out the existing stuff weld a mount in for them stick em in there and run lines to a big ol compressor somewhere, a shop that has experience doesn't need a kit or anything like that its almost the same process on any vehicle including the explorers.

but where do you find the components???

how fast do you want them to work? how much are you willing to spend?

here's a few retailers-
godfathercustoms.com
dealersportruck.com
airbagit.com -check this for sure
streetbeatonline.com
truckn.com
justairbags.com
justairtanks.com -and the related ones to those two
ridetech.com

i have no idea how the prices at those places stack up or anything, but that should begin to give you an idea.

Thanks for the info Expo5.0! I am going to check those sites out!

there is alot more to it than cutting some stuff out and throwing some new stuff in (*read* they are NOT easy). From what I understand the front of an X is pretty difficult due to restrictions (the bag will rub if it's not perfect)

YOu need well made mounts, lines, fittings, tanks, compressors, valves, switches, bags, and someone that can weld very well. not to mention spairs of most of that so if something breaks ;)

you get the idea, do your research and you should be ok

my point was just that there isn't any real extra stuff you need to do an explorer any more so than any other vehicle. these guys are planning on having shops do the work for them (right guys?) so i was just letting them know that they didn't need to find an explorer "kit" or anything. the best advice for anyone who isn't an incredible welder/x mechanic is to make a good custom shop your first stop and let them direct you toward what fits your budget and needs.

Point made expo5.0, I just didn't want anybody getting the idea that bags are easy. For those looking for a shop to di this, also talk to some of the body shops in the area. If you know they do custom body work (shaving, molding, freenching) then there is a good chance they can do your bags as well, or at least tell you someone that can.

Fortunately for me, i work in the automotive business, just not on the aftermarket side of things - but i know 100's of mechanics and body guys that are willing to help me out.

Thanks for the leads, expo im on the mothafukas

You all may wana take a look at:
Dropped X on bags
The site is also a nice site to look at. Yesterday I called this guy about some body questions I had (airdam, rollpan, etc.) and bout the bag suspension. He was an extreemly nice guy, knows what he's talkin' about, and answered all questions he could w/o my truck infront of him. Thought this site may help...If you have any questions call him and he'll answer em for sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

to help you on airbag suspension there is different things to look for first are you wanting to go all the way down which is most likely the case for the front depending on if you have springs if thats the case you will need spring cups which you can get from any airbag company/if you have torsion setup you will need torsion brackets which come to make bag sit at 45degree angle the one thing you want to make sure of is you trim upper arm so dont rub bag...for the back i found it to be best to get behind under axle brackets and universal upper backet and monster notch///the rest is just personal preference on tank/compressor/fittings///etc...also make get a little more complicated if you decide to do 4link setup///me personally going with 4in angle block one spring removed gotr my shackles on the ground...hope this helps a bit..if need more email me...thanks

Back