Air vents making cracking noise in cold climates. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air vents making cracking noise in cold climates.

richey

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 PIU
2017 PIU
Has anyone experienced air vent popping/cracking noise in freezing temperatures when the heat is on? I think it’s the air ducts expanding and contracting and it’s pretty obnoxious. I know it’s not a blend air door, at least nothing like I’ve heard before.its very random and cannot be replicated by adjusting the controls. Here in Alaska the vents are going from being -10 F up to however hot the heater blows so the expansion makes sense. I’m just wondering if anyone has also experienced this and/or found a solution like making relief cuts in the ducts.

Has anyone experienced air vent popping/cracking noise in freezing temperatures when the heat is on? I think it’s the air ducts expanding and contracting and it’s pretty obnoxious. I know it’s not a blend air door, at least nothing like I’ve heard before.its very random and cannot be replicated by adjusting the controls. Here in Alaska the vents are going from being -10 F up to however hot the heater blows so the expansion makes sense. I’m just wondering if anyone has also experienced this and/or found a solution like making relief cuts in the ducts.
Although it hasn't been that cold here yet, it has in past years and I can't recall having the issue that you described in any of my previous vehicles.

Peter

I've run into plastic popping/cracking noise every so often in several different vehicles. I don't think it has actually been the vents themselves though.

After the interior warms up does it still do it? If so, you may have a hairline crack in one or more. Nothing to worry about though. Just turn up the radio. lol

Back