2002 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac

Post number 28 has been selected as best answered.

dvdswan

Reaction score
City, State
SEATTLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ST 4WD Premium
Just picked up this 02 Sport Trac w/ 122k on the clock. Pretty stoked about it. I've been looking for either a 2dr Explorer or Sport Trac and came across this one. Some minor issues to fix but what isn't there on a 21 yo vehicle.
XLS (assuming since it doesn't have XLT on the tailgate) 4WD D2 axles, 255/70R16s all the power goodies except sunroof and cloth seats.

IMG_2476.JPG

IMG_2477.JPG

IMG_2478.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

image000001.jpeg

So, list of to do items...
Mirrors not working - Fixed post #32. Replaced power mirror switch.
Learn how to operate the 4WD, either I was doing it wrong or it's not engaging - Fixed post #28. Fat electron theory at fault. Disconnected reconnected 4WD selection switch, problem solved. Slight corrosion on contacts not allowing fat electrons through connection.
Replace tensioners - Ordered 3/25/24.
Replace T-stat housing - Ordered 3/25/24.
Replace Body mounts - Ordered 3/25/24.
Change fluids and filters - in progress...
Replace bad bulbs - Ordered 3/25/24.
Replace broken fog lamp - Fixed post #35. Replaced both fog lamp housings w/ bulbs.
Antenna missing - Replaced with new antenna.
fix wiring to topper (definitely hacked) - Temporary fix post #32. Repaired broken wire at butt connectors.
Repair radio stuck in Espanol - Fixed in post #23. Followed video.
Tailgate lock cylinder won't turn (discovered 2/2/24) - Fixed in post #57. Lubed lock cylinders.

and a jack (missing) - Found / Bought, junkyard left one in vehicle 4/2/24.

Plans...
Exhaust
Lift/Tires/Shocks
Winch
Backup lights
Roof rack cross bars
Looking for tonneau cover, bed separator, and bed extender - Post #38 Picked up Tonneau cover, bed separator, and bike rack. Post #44 installed. Post #59 bed extender picked up and installed.
Maybe a push bar with lights
CB/FRS/GMRS Radio
Put together off-road recovery kit
add-ons -
Transmission flush and filter change.
Turn signal switch swap. - Post #60 Completed.
Double Din radio with back up camera - Ordered 3/25/24. Received.
Power Mirrors with heat and puddle lights - Ordered 3/25/24. Received.
Backup lights - Ordered 3/25/24. Received.
Power actuator for tailgate
I'm sure there will be more to come.

Repairs...
Alternator, tensioner, idler pulley, and serpentine belt, alternator bearing was making noise - Replaced post #68 4/15/24.
Replaced gas cap leash - Replaced post #68 4/15/24.

Door sticker and VIN decoded in post #19

Door sticker: -
EXT PNT: Paint Code: FL - Medium Toreador Red / RC(Region Code): 74 (Seattle) / DSO (Domestic Special Order): (?)
WB (Wheelbase): 126" / BRK (Brake Code): 4 (4 Wheel ABS)
/ INT TR(Interior Trim): PT (P is Cloth bucket w/ adjustable head restraint and 6-way power seat)(T is Dark Graphite)
/ TP/PS (Paint Stripe Code): blank is none / R(Radio Code): 1 (?)
/ AXLE: D2(4.10 w/ Limited-Slip) / TR(Transmission): D(Automatic 5 Speed)
/ SPR(Spring Code): 12(1 - 5B326 (RH), 5B327 (LH) torsion bar)(2 - no info found yet)
/ 1S11A405: Calibration Code (?)

VIN: -
1FM - Ford Motor Company, USA, multi-purpose vehicle
Z - (Brake Type)(haven't found) (usually the hydraulic system size)
U77 - (Vehicle Line, Series, Body Type)
E - (Engine Type) 4.0L EFI-SOHC, six cylinder
7 - (Check Digit)
2 - (Model Year) 2002
U - (Assembly Plant) Louisville
B85791 - (Production Sequence Number) A00001-E99999 — Ford Division

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is one sweet rig
The topper shells are very hard to find and worth big $$$$

You can switch from 2wd to 4hi anytime you wish, if you turn the dial and nothing happens then likely your shift motor needs fixing. (Check all fuses first)

122 is low miles! You will love the sport trax! Xls usually say xls on the back, the 04 xls I have has no tow hooks

The jack should be in compartment behind back seat, pass side

I like your plan! Glad you found sport trac! They are awesome

Those wheels, 255 tires, and the side steps are all part of the XL/XLT package. They didn't badge yet them in 2002. The options tell which they are as they came as a package.

Nice truck! And matching topper to boot!

Good to know. Thank you.

Yes no side steps on my xls and no keyless entry either! I got jipped! Lol lol

Well, if that is the case that XLTs were not labeled, I want my puddle lights on my mirrors. My 02 Explorer XLT "labeled" has these. lol I've been ripped off too.

Paint and plastic trim lasts forever in Seattle. Great looking sport trac!

I guess with my 2001 4X4 I was lucky because I have keyless entry, had factory side steps and I have 255 series tires! Woohoo I'm blessed 🤣👍💯♥️🇺🇸

My '01 had all that, which is all part of the XLT option package. For whatever reason they didn't put XL or XLT badges on them. Kinda hard to figure since the XL & XLT emblems had been used since 1969 on the F Series, I think.

My '01 had all that, which is all part of the XLT option package. For whatever reason they didn't put XL or XLT badges on them. Kinda hard to figure since the XL & XLT emblems had been used since 1969 on the F Series, I think.
Bean counters saving money.

My info comes from the 2002 sales books the salesmen used at the dealerships, and my personal experience. You couldn't pick and choose most options individually. You either got the whole XL or XLT package or nothing. There were more options available once you had the XL package, and even more once you had the XLT package.

My 2002 had no options, not even cruise control, and no XLS emblems. My '01 had pretty much all the options for 2001, but no XLT emblems. The '04 I bought in August came with all available options except limited slip as far as I can tell. I bought a sales brochure for 2004 after I bought the truck, and found that the soft roll-up cover and trailer hitch were probably dealer (maybe factory) installed options that had been available for all years according to that. Neither have any brand labels on them.

So is there a way to find out if it's a XL or XLT optioned vehicle?

I'll have to look through the sales book later to check for sure, but with those wheels and 255/70 - 16 tires, it is NOT an XLS.

What I have is the 2002 SUV Source Book which covers all Ford SUVs - used by the salesmen to convince customers to buy Ford instead of something else - and the No Boundaries booklet which also covers all SUVs. Posting some photos is probably the best way to share the info. I'll have to do that later. What I was reminded of is that through 2002, at least, Sport Tracs were either Value, Choice, or Premium, not XLS, XL, & XLT. That explains the lack of emblems. Some options were only available if you ordered certain options which came as a package.

20231222_110831.jpg
20231222_105722.jpg

20231222_110652.jpg
20231222_110211.jpg

20231221_213533.jpg
20231222_105250.jpg

This is a window sticker that was in the 2001 Owner's Manual I have. I don't remember when or where I got it. It is not for my '01.

Sorry for the blurry photo in the first post! As I scanned through the Source Book and No Boundaries booklet the other night, I found a list of personalization options that I've spent considerable time trying to find this morning without success. I wanted to find it because it had some interesting options most of us didn't know about - like a soft tonneau cover like my '04 has, a 1 piece hard cover (I have 2, but at least 1 is aftermarket), and a cap/topper which had to be ordered through the dealer. (Edit - I just found it in the No Boundaries booklet.)

The Source Book is a 2" 3 ring binder that even the least experienced sales rep could use to sell Ford SUVs. The No Boundaries booklet is 86 pages of detailed info and specs on all the 2002 Ford SUVs, which I assume was available to the public. I paid $20 to a literature dealer for the Source Book at a swap meet in 2013, and $5 to another dealer at the Goodguys show, also in 2013. Together, they give about all the info possible on the '02 SUVs. Of course there's always an oddball that's not supposed to exist.

One discrepancy I found was fuel tank capacity. Several times they say the tank holds 20.5, but in two places it says 23 gallons. I regularly put 20 gallons into my '02, so I know it holds more than 20.5. It also looks like the Berber floor mats were standard equipment. You'd think there would be more floating around if that were true.

That is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that out of your busy day. It is greatly appreciated. If I'm ever in Iowa I owe you a beverage of cheer.

IMG_2496.JPG

This is cool.
Paint Code: FL - Toreador Red / RC(Region Code): 74 (Seattle) / DSO (Domestic Special Order): (?)
WB (Wheelbase): 126" / BRK (Brake Code): 4 (4 Wheel ABS)
/ INT TR(Interior Trim): PT (P is Cloth bucket w/ adjustable head restraint and 6-way power seat)(T is Dark Graphite)
/ TP/PS (Paint Stripe Code): blank is none / R(Radio Code): 1 (?)
/ AXLE: D2(4.10 w/ Limited-Slip) / TR(Transmission): D(Automatic 5 Speed)
/ SPR(Spring Code): 12(1 - 5B326 (RH), 5B327 (LH) torsion bar)(2 - no info found yet)
/ 1S11A405: Calibration Code (?)

VIN -
1FM - Ford Motor Company, USA, multi-purpose vehicle
Z - (Brake Type)(haven't found) (usually the hydraulic system size)
U77 - (Vehicle Line, Series, Body Type)
E - (Engine Type) 4.0L EFI-SOHC, six cylinder
7 - (Check Digit)
2 - (Model Year) 2002
U - (Assembly Plant) Louisville
B85791 - (Production Sequence Number) A00001-E99999 — Ford Division

Very cool:

Screenshot 2023-12-22 130522.png

More interesting things:

Screenshot 2023-12-22 131550.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 131651.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 131726.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 131758.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 131832.png

Screenshot 2023-12-22 131903.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that out of your busy day. It is greatly appreciated. If I'm ever in Iowa I owe you a beverage of cheer.

No problem! It was a good excuse to look at that material again!

As far as my "busy day" - I'm retired, it's 50 degrees and damp outside, and I'm fighting off either croup or Influenza A which my daughter and grandsons have this week, so my day has gone like this -

Normal morning routine
Posted the above pics, by which time my daughter and grandsons (6, and approaching 3) were here so I could help watch the boys while she worked remotely and slept
Ate a late lunch
Cleared a spot on the floor and laid down to try to take a nap amongst the Hot Wheels cars and little Monster Trucks while still being available if the boys needed anything. The 6 yr old turned the lights off to help me sleep and continued watching YouTube. He jumped in to move more cars out of the way when I rolled over. I only dozed for a short bit, and it was uncomfortable, but it was a peaceful 2 hours until my wife got home.

Back