All these dual exhaust threads....got me thinkin bout my 4.0... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All these dual exhaust threads....got me thinkin bout my 4.0...

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
Well I currently have a Y pipe connected that is dual 2.25"/single 2.5". The single 2.5" goes into a single in/single out flowmaster original 40 muffler then dumped. What I was thinkin was what if I put in an H pipe, then ran true duals to two 2.5" flowmaster original 40 mufflers then dumped. Would this kill torque or what? Also, how would the sound be like? Im looking for a deeper sound than I have now. I know the 4.0's love back pressure....but I also want the deep sound. Any ideas?

This is what I currently have
DSC01413.JPG

DSC01414.JPG

Im going for a system like this

kodymounty023.jpg

flowsonmount2.jpg

However, the mufflers would be straight verticle mounted...not slant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im tryin to sound like a deep v6, not a ricey v8 LOL

But neway....According to all my research, looks like you lose to much low end to gain the noise Im looking for. Now if only I could see how all these guys on youtube made this "homebrew" supercharger system...

oooouuuucccchhhhhhh..... at least run the pipes out from under the car. i'll bet that's horably loud inside the truck

how to make a V6 sound like a V8? Glasspacks / cherrybombs.

glasss packs are stupid on a 4.0 my truck sounds like a pissed off gasoline lawnmower on alcahol....it realy sounds dumb.

glasss packs are stupid on a 4.0 my truck sounds like a pissed off gasoline lawnmower on alcahol....it realy sounds dumb.

that sucks i ran a glasspack on my first car i ever had a 88 chevy corsica oh yeah :D well we ran that instead of a cat and then had a $20 thrush muffler it sounded pretty good to tell the truth i guess its all about the engine is what its gonna sound like

oooouuuucccchhhhhhh..... at least run the pipes out from under the car. i'll bet that's horably loud inside the truck

Yes it is, which is why I am going to a shop this week so mine go out the back under the bumper. lol

What sounds good is simply a matter of opinion. A good general rule is that the fatter and longer the tail pipe the deeper the final sound. That's why a lot of cars have the muffler at the very back, it's the quietest it can be that way.

if you want to keep the cabin noise down, go dynamat. best investment for your $

In Missouri a vehicle will fail inspection if there is not a tail pipe.

My wifes car tail pipe had broken off (about 18" long) and it failed. I just bought one of the cheap $5 flexible tail pipes to get buy until I can get here a new exhaust put on. It needs it.

My 2¢, but the info might not be "correct"...

The larger the tailpipe, the deeper the tone.

Larger/longer mufflers are quieter.

My 2¢, but the info might not be "correct"...

The larger the tailpipe, the deeper the tone.

Larger/longer mufflers are quieter.

Yes larger longer mufflers are typically quieter, I was referring to the depth of sound. I have added large tips to dual exhaust systems and made them a considerably deeper tone. When my wife's 02 Explorer was 2 days old I split the exhaust after the rear axle, used some leftover stainless steel from LX Mustangs and made out the back duals with Magnaflow 3 1/2 X 22 inch tips. It wasn't a major difference but I could tell it was deeper toned than the others. I don't have pics of that on my home computer but if anyone is interested I can find it on my work computer and post it later.
Brian

Back