Almost to 90k miles, what all should be done? (Lift? :P) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Almost to 90k miles, what all should be done? (Lift? :P)

fr0st m0nkey

Reaction score
City, State
Stockton, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
So I'm approaching the 90k mark on my 04 XLT v6. I just had to take it to the stealership when my 'service engine soon' last week and they said I'd need a 90k service done. What all do they do for maintenance at 90k? My suspension squeaks pretty loudly going over speed bumps and I already knew that I need new ball joints, what kind of things do I need to do to make my explorer not sound like a hoopty? I also need new tires and I want to run 265/75/16s so I think I need a small lift. I want to maintain as much flex as possible so I'm thinking either a 3" BL or new coils (although I haven't looked at any replacement coils yet). As far as the engine goes, I was thinking a tranny flush + synthetic oil. I replaced the serpentine belt and fuel filters a couple months ago.

Thanks everyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you just want to run 265/75/16 you can run those at stock height.

I just dropped my truck off this morning for her 90k (86k) tuneup

I asked for the following:
Front Brakes
Rear Brakes
Fuel Filter Change
Transmission Change (keep the old fluid, just change the filter element)
Radiator Flush (few months back i had some overheating issues, engine is still running fine. Had to add about a gallon of water because I was on the road at the time and it's never a bad idea to do it!)

Crossing my fingers that everything comes out okay :thumbsup: I'm not worried about the brakes/radiator (might need new radiator hoses, they were a little squishy last time I was under the hood) but the transmission has go me worried. It's just the hassle, because I DO have the ESP with time left on the clock, I just don't want to mess around with something that isn't broken :cool:

I just dropped my truck off this morning for her 90k (86k) tuneup

I asked for the following:
Front Brakes
Rear Brakes
Fuel Filter Change
Transmission Change (keep the old fluid, just change the filter element)
Radiator Flush (few months back i had some overheating issues, engine is still running fine. Had to add about a gallon of water because I was on the road at the time and it's never a bad idea to do it!)

Crossing my fingers that everything comes out okay :thumbsup: I'm not worried about the brakes/radiator (might need new radiator hoses, they were a little squishy last time I was under the hood) but the transmission has go me worried. It's just the hassle, because I DO have the ESP with time left on the clock, I just don't want to mess around with something that isn't broken :cool:

What did that tune up run you price wise??

You're gonna need spacers for anything wider than a 265 in order to clear the steering knuckle.

I just hit 90K also, wanting to do some more mods, not to much $ tho. any ideas?

Why would you only want to change the transmission filter and not the fluid? more than half of the fluid comes out when you drop the pan anyways?

Back