Alpine Type S 5x7's 2 way

MattStarr

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
St Petersburg, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' EB Expedition
Well, I think I have narrowed my choices down. Does anyone have any pros or cons on these 5x7's?
EC.APN.SPS570A.JPG

Im NOT buying these from circuit city, but the guy told be they were pretty good with a stock HU.

Some Specs:
Sensitivity: 92 dB
RMS Power Range : 2-40 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 200 Watts
Frequency response: 35-30000 Hz
Diameter: 5x7 Inch

aluminum-coated polypropylene woofer
rubber surround
swiveling titanium-coated PEI balanced dome tweeter
frequency response 35-30,000 Hz
recommended power range 2-40 watts RMS
peak power 200 watts
sensitivity 92 dB
top-mount depth 2-7/16"

I can get these for $79/pair from OnlineCarStereo.com

Thanks all!!!

Any suggestions for other 5x7's are also welcomed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

those look fine....heard the type R 5x7's at circuit city...not impressed....

I listened to em at CC too, compared to the Polks and Infinities, they sound better... I guess its really personal preference.

Originally posted by davesexplorer
those look fine....heard the type R 5x7's at circuit city...not impressed....

disagree...

I was planning on nothing other than Infinity Kappa's for my truck when I built the system. Working at Crutchfield I got to compare all types of speakers. The Alpine Type R's were the best sounding speaker that Crutchfield sold at the time. (January)

I spent hours in the sound rooms doing all sorts of comparo's with different cd's and switching back and forth between the Type R's and the Kappas. Needless to say, I ended up with the Type R 6.75" Components up front and the Type R 5x7's in the rear.

Personally, I think the Type S's sound like crap. The only Alpine speakers I like are Type R.. if you go lower than that, get Polk, Infinity, or Boston (or MB Quart if you can get a good deal)

Alpine Type R 5x7's Are Great!

I had 4 of them put in last weekend. They sound great. I could not really compare speakers in the sound rooms. It was only when I listened to them in my vehicle that it became clear; listening to music was like hearing the music for the first time. I heard nuances that I never noticed before. Each individual instrument came through clear and without any distortion or coloring. I recommend Alpine Type R.

meh, then its a problem at suckit city then......

I liked the Polk DBs at CC when compared to the others (Infinity & Alpine) right beside it. As stated above, everyone's opinion will differ. I put a set of the Polk DBs in my Dad's '02 X last weekend. They sound good. I like my Polk DX7s. They sound good for drop-ins.

PS: Polk, Boston, Eclipse, JL all make a high end 5x7 (near $200 or above)...I;m sure they would all sound great.

Originally posted by Hokie
I thought polk quit making the DB's? They are (were?) great speakers!

They recently started making them again. Circuit City and Crutchfield carries them. They are my favorite in the $100 range...They even make a MOMO 5x5 now!

i just put some alpine type S in the back seats, and some alpine type R components in the front, with a infinity kappa perfect 10" sub in the back, im lovin' it

The type S will sound better then the type R with a factory radio.
Polk Ex will sound better then the DB's with stock power also.

Back