• Register Today It's free!

Alternative fuel.

Shurup

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
Was thinking about conversion so my truck would work on a gas and on a propane as well (do a lot of driving - thinking about saving some money). I heard that this conversion to propane shortens the engine life. Like if on a gas it may "live" up to say 300K miles, on a propane it would "live" only up to 250K (just an example).
Is this true? What is the logical explanation why propane is shortening engine life?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cmonnn guys. Haven't anyone of you ever driven propane powered cars/trucks? Is the loss in HP too great to even think about it? is there any advantage of converting to propane?

If you are serious about alternative fuels look into natural gas over propane. Either will shorten the servicable life of the engine. This is due to the lack of cushion the gasoline provides for the valves.

Um, when running propane, you also need to run compression lower. So ya pretty much have to run one or the other... can't just jump between the two

Originally posted by RFR2212
Um, when running propane, you also need to run compression lower. So ya pretty much have to run one or the other... can't just jump between the two

Completely untrue. All the trucks at my work run propane tanks, with the stock gas tanks as back ups. I have run out of propane plenty of times, flip the switch and you're running on regular unleaded. Our 88 Chevy 3/4 ton has 280K on her with the stock engine. All of them seem to run the same on propane vs unleaded.
Propane on some newer engines can be finicky though, often makes the check engine light come on. For example the 99 F150 that runs on both, if the propane is being used the check engine light comes on while using it.

Why stop at propane?

What are you going to do when you run out of fuel in the woods? You wouldn't have that problem with this!

Dead Link Removed

Opera House
That must be a joke. Right? :confused:
Dead Link Removed

How bad would propane or natural gas shorten the servicable life of the engine?

rokke17
You said you drive propane powered trucks at work. Do you feel any loss of power while on propane comparing to regular gas?

There was truck that came into our shop class in high school everyyear that ran on wood.

Originally posted by Shurup

rokke17
You said you drive propane powered trucks at work. Do you feel any loss of power while on propane comparing to regular gas? [/B]

They seem to drive the same as far as I can tell. I have maybe 250 miles on a 99 F150, that seemed to run indentical. Probably 500 or so on a 93 F150, that seemed kinda doggy, but could have been from the 175k and hard use over the years. 88 3/4 ton Chev seemed to run great and had real good power for 280k on her.

Overall I have put 95% of the miles on propane on these trucks, and couldnt see a noticeable difference from running reg unleaded. If they are losing power from it, I didnt notice, and I looked for it.

And the other question for you rokke17.
What is the mileage you getting from using propane? I heard that it should be 3-4 miles per gallon less than when using propane. Does it sound right?

Originally posted by Shurup
And the other question for you rokke17.
What is the mileage you getting from using propane? I heard that it should be 3-4 miles per gallon less than when using propane. Does it sound right?

I honestly cant give actual numbers, only estimates. Since I work at a propane service company, propane is plentiful. If the truck was low I pulled up to the pump and filled the tank, same with all the other equipment, etc. Most of our trucks have pretty decent size tanks on them to allow for interstate travel. I often put 50 gallons in to the tank for a normal fill up.
In reponse to your query, I would say that 3-4 mpg less is probably pretty accurate. I dont have numbers to back this up, but from the amount of driving I do compared with the # of gallons of propane I put into the trucks, I would say that you are pretty close.

As I understand it the propane burns less efficiently, therefore you must burn slightly more of it compared to gas, that giving the lower mpg.
So yes, I think that 3-4 less is probably a good estimate, although it will depend on your driving habits, etc.

Chris

Lemme know if you have more questions, I'll try to help

umm... i ran my go-ped off nitro methane this weekend, but it blew up in about 15 minutes :(

:confused: $3000 CAN for propane conversion. :eek: I better spend these money for something else.

Back