Is anybody here familiar with CNG, or propane conversions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is anybody here familiar with CNG, or propane conversions?

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
During the summer, I was experimenting with a propane conversion that could be switched between gasoline, and propane. I attached a propane tank with a regulator, filter, and pressure gauge to the Schraeder fuel port, and unplugged the inertia switch to cut the power to the fuel pump. The vehicle was able to run for a few seconds until the propane stopped pushing out all of the left over gasoline in the system, then died. I've read a lot of information about this kind of thing working with throttle bodies, and modified carburetors, but not with multiport fuel injection. What kind of modifications would multiport need to run on propane? The manifold is sealed, so I thought about somehow injecting it through the intake, but never finished experimenting with it. Wouldn't the propane going into the air intake be counterproductive, since the injectors are the more direct way of injecting the propane into the cylinders? From what I've read, propane would be more powerful than CNG, and the engine would need another computer that is calibrated for either CNG, or propane. When it is switched back to gasoline, the regular car computer would work the same as it did before.

Back