alternator issues

Digitalgp

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Hudson valley
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘15 XLT
The alternator on my Explorer has been making a whining noise for over a month now (sometimes louder than others), but I keep getting told its working fine. This was by two different mechanics. When I hook my voltage tester up with its usually in the low-mid 13 volts which I know is low, but at least charging still. I've seen it drop down as low as 12.2. It doesn't seem to really hold steady either. Not having any electronic issues so far, still starts up fine and no battery light. I was told this is a smart alternator so it only kicks up the voltage when needed and doesn't need to charge at the normal 14.6 volts that I am used to seeing. Never heard of such a thing. I am just very nervous about it dropping out on me completely and getting stuck with it or worse my wife & daughter getting stuck.

I'm not sure what could cause a whining noise other than the bearings.
As for the smart alternator, after doing some searching, it appears it was introduced in 2015 and likely installed on vehicles from 2015 onward.
If thinking of replacing it, it is highly recommended that you use a genuine Motorcraft alternator as many members have reported issues when using aftermarket ones.

Peter

I'm not sure what could cause a whining noise other than the bearings.
As for the smart alternator, after doing some searching, it appears it was introduced in 2015 and likely installed on vehicles from 2015 onward.
If thinking of replacing it, it is highly recommended that you use a genuine Motorcraft alternator as many members have reported issues when using aftermarket ones.

Peter
Confirmed it’s just a bearing noise from the alternator, but I am going to change it to avoid issues down the road. I read on here someone actually had one cease up on them. Doesn’t seem too hard to get to. Just a few extra steps with having to take the fan assembly out. I am going oe. This isn’t the first time I’ve heard issues using non Motorcraft alternators on these year explorers. Is there a relearn procedure or software flash I have to do after installing this new smart alternator?

I haven't read that anything other than a straight replacement is required.

Peter

Back