Ambient Lighting Problems | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ambient Lighting Problems

As I said above, we need the option to ignore users posts. Most other forums running this software allow you to do that.

The sad thing is I agree with him in his message just not his delivery.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As I said above, we need the option to ignore users posts. Most other forums running this software allow you to do that.

The sad thing is I agree with him in his message just not his delivery.

You have the option to add him to your Ignore List under User CP, Settings & Options.

Peter

Done. Thanks, am used to seeing it as an option off their username in a post.

All Forums would be better if people could not be anonymous .... All should require real names and locations, the info you get from them is better when each member is help to task.

Anonymity is not helpful in a forum where people want real answers.

To reproduce it for the dealer, set the ambient light color to anything other than the default. Then, follow the procedure here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382163

Once MFT reboots it will have defaulted to factory light blue.

Boom.... dealer can reproduce, will escalate to Ford, yada yada.

But, since this is a MFT problem, I'm guessing Rebecca has already reported it up the chain.

Rebecca, Has a TSB been issued to the dealers? The lighting problem isn't something that happens all the time and if the tech can't reproduce the problem nothing gets done. IMO, the technican wants to get the vehicle in and out as fast as they can and doesn't take enough time to try to diagnose/reproduce a problem.

Rebecca, Has a TSB been issued to the dealers? The lighting problem isn't something that happens all the time and if the tech can't reproduce the problem nothing gets done. IMO, the technican wants to get the vehicle in and out as fast as they can and doesn't take enough time to try to diagnose/reproduce a problem.
As far as I know, there hasn't been a TSB raised on this issue because it appears that no one knows why this is happening in the first place. The issue, according to Rebecca, has been forwarded to her support group and there it sits. Since it only appears to affect some Explorers and not others, I imagine it would be even harder to track down.

Peter

Just to add some more info for the Ford team - I am currently in a 2014 Taurus LTD hire car (looks like it has V3.6.2 in in too), and it's exhibiting the same Ambient Lighting Reset as the Ex Sport. I got into the Taurus yesterday (some 15 mins after leaving it) and when the center screen came up it had the 'Performing Scheduled Maintainance' bar on screen. After that, the Ambient Lighting was on and light blue, when I left the vehicle previously it was off - I had been playing with the MFT unit to see the differences to the Ex.

It appears the lighting problem is not solely an Explorer issue and is the result of updates and Scheduled Maintenance. What is the purpose of "Scheduled Maintenance"? What information is being collected? Is it something the vehicle can't function without or is it just tool for Ford to collect information about vehicle operation for warranty and marketing?

It appears the lighting problem is not solely an Explorer issue and is the result of updates and Scheduled Maintenance. What is the purpose of "Scheduled Maintenance"? What information is being collected? Is it something the vehicle can't function without or is it just tool for Ford to collect information about vehicle operation for warranty and marketing?
If you are talking about the message that pops up on the MFT about performing maintenance it usually indicates that the MFT has crashed and is recovering. There are also a few posts that say the MFT will sometimes do this to 'clean up' the software although if this is true seems to be a hit or miss function. I can't recall the last time I saw mine do it and I haven't had to reset and settings which usually means that there wasn't any 'reboot' done.
No information is being collected by Ford since the Explorer isn't capable of transmitting this kind of data. Basically it is a system reboot.

Peter

Sorry I am late to this party, but same issue my wife is experiencing with her ambient lighting. Randomly loses the setting and defaults to the light blue.

Sorry I am late to this party, but same issue my wife is experiencing with her ambient lighting. Randomly loses the setting and defaults to the light blue.
Welcome to the Forum smurfs_of_war.:wavey:
Take your Explorer back to the dealer and make sure that they document the problem. It is unlikely they will be able to do anything but at least it will be recorded in the database to which Ford has access, I believe. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum smurfs_of_war.:wavey:
Take your Explorer back to the dealer and make sure that they document the problem. It is unlikely they will be able to do anything but at least it will be recorded in the database to which Ford has access, I believe. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix.

Peter

Thanks!

It is going in this Thursday again for the leaking water everywhere, so we are making notes- this and a bunch of sensor faults going crazy randomly. I won't hold my breath for a fix on any of it- since no progress has been made on the previous two visits :(

Thanks!

It is going in this Thursday again for the leaking water everywhere, so we are making notes- this and a bunch of sensor faults going crazy randomly. I won't hold my breath for a fix on any of it- since no progress has been made on the previous two visits :(

See post #115 . There is nothing the dealer can do about this problem other than report it up to Ford (which has already been done by the in vehicle technology person from Ford who monitors this forum). It's a software bug - it appears the ambient light setting does not survive a reboot of MFT (which happens periodically when you aren't in the car). On the other hand, the more people that complain, the more likely Ford will fix it. To reproduce the issue for the dealer follow the directions in post #115 .

What sensor faults are you having?

What sensor faults are you having?

Didn't want to hijack the thread. Sensor faults are blind spot and lane change assist. Sensors are clean, happens completely randomly, then corrects itself upon restart. No rhyme nor reason to any of it.

Didn't want to hijack the thread. Sensor faults are blind spot and lane change assist. Sensors are clean, happens completely randomly, then corrects itself upon restart. No rhyme nor reason to any of it.

Can't help you there. I asked because I've had weird sensor issues as well that have been resolved. Usually related to some other sensor upstream. For example, My collision warning was on the fritz randomly, but it turned out to be a faulty brake sensor.

EDIT - saw your post in the water leak thread - My collision warning also would only malfunction in negative temperatures F. Anyway, after a bit of troubleshooting, it turns out that the collision warning system needs to read the brake sensor. The brake sensor was not coming on appropriately (e.g., I needed an abnormal amount of force on the brake to get the brake lights to come on even though the car was braking). To test this, just backup to your garage door at night with the door closed and test and see when your brake light comes on. Have not had the collision warning issue since it was fixed. Probably not related, but it may be worth a shot. I also had a "Service Advance Track" issue that was caused by a faulty steering angle sensor.

I set mine to Red the other day. The next day I went out to the garage to check some other settings, started the car and the lights came on - and the ambient lighting was back to blue.

Went to the screen to set it back to red, and found that no matter what I did, it just stayed blue. I couldn't even select a different color - the big "bubbles" on the screen wouldn't move at all.

Yesterday I got in it and boom - the lights went back to red. Go figure. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on this.

I set mine to Red the other day. The next day I went out to the garage to check some other settings, started the car and the lights came on - and the ambient lighting was back to blue.

Went to the screen to set it back to red, and found that no matter what I did, it just stayed blue. I couldn't even select a different color - the big "bubbles" on the screen wouldn't move at all.

Yesterday I got in it and boom - the lights went back to red. Go figure. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on this.

If the doors are open it will switch to the default aqua until they are closed. I assume the aqua is considered the best light for entering and exiting the vehicle. After closing the doors it should show the selected color again (if the headlights are on)

If the doors are open it will switch to the default aqua until they are closed. I assume the aqua is considered the best light for entering and exiting the vehicle. After closing the doors it should show the selected color again (if the headlights are on)

Ahhh, might have had the door open at the time! Thanks.

Would be good too know if Ford has been able to replicate this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly I have to laugh at this thread. Knowing the history of My Ford Touch and the really nasty issues people were having with it in the early days (e.g., the system was basically non functioning for some), a thread 7+ pages long about the ambient light color resetting randomly makes me laugh. It also makes me appreciate how far the system has come that this is even on people's radar.

Back