Amp Rack and Sub Box

Elessar65

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, Ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 F150 EcoBoost 4x4
I was bored in my computer applications class today and stumbled across this on the net. I think its a pretty sweet idea for a stealth-ish way to be able to have a decent full sized sub and amp in the truck, without taking up all your storage space, or having it out in the open waiting to be stolen.

Dead Link Removed it is. Anyone done something like this before? It doesn't look too difficult to build.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did something like it, but i didnt put my amp back there. i put that under my seat.
IMG01167.jpg

then...
IMG01200.jpg

still need to make a grill for it tho...

Did you make the whole thing out of fiberglass then? It looks like it. I don't have the skills for something like that. I was planning to just make it out of MDF or plywood.
Definitely looks good though, I need to do something like that so I can have a decent sub in my truck without taking up all my room (I have a Sport)

yeah its pretty much all fiberglass on all sides except the front. the front is 3/4 MDF.
it was surprisingly simple for something that may look complicated. this was my first shot at doing fiberglass work, and i think it turned out pretty good.
i just popped out all the stock junk (amps, sub, box...btw, mine is a 93 EB with the stock JBL system) and used a combo of masking tape and cardboard (to get more rigid sides) then i just had at it with the resin and matting. it took about 4 or 5 layers in all, it was tricky popping it out tho...took a little while. and once i had it finished i gorilla glued it to the inside of the body. (maybe not the smartest choice...but i didnt want it to rattle against the sheet metal.
it does sound good i must ad for a fibreglass box and being in the panel. but i do however hear a slight rattle when it hits,but i think its just the plastic body panel over the top. need to find another way to secure that. i broke a few of the clips that held it down...oops

or having it out in the open waiting to be stolen.

This worries me a little, cuz I have a box with an amp attached to the side just sitting there in the cargo area of mine.. And I don't have that cover thing anymore that you could just pull over it.. What's my best bet for at least securing it down, maybe some L brackets? I'm worried about drilling something back there tho..

in the cargo area of mine.. And I don't have that cover thing anymore that you could just pull over it.. What's my best bet This worries me a little, cuz I have a box with an amp attached to the side just sitting there for at least securing it down, maybe some L brackets? I'm worried about drilling something back there tho..

I have a 12in sub with a 760wat amp in a decent size box and I use rachet straps and the stock explorer cargo hold down located on the floor of the rear compartment. I spaced my amp and sub evenly on the floor between the cargo hold downs and ratchet strapped them in If u space it right there is enough room for a rifle case between the sub box and back seat that keeps any rifle secure during 4x4 excurions. There should be 4 hold downs in the back of your explorer, I use the rear two for my tool box and and keep tow straps in the ammo cans. Just center the cargo under the rachet straps and you should be fine. I found out the hard way how damaging and dangerous it is to have a sub floating around in the back, I went ofver a off camber woop at a moderate speed and the sub got thrown like a dryer machine and broke the right rear most window and the box broke apart at the seems. So strap down ur stuff you never know...

-Happy wheelin

This worries me a little, cuz I have a box with an amp attached to the side just sitting there in the cargo area of mine.. And I don't have that cover thing anymore that you could just pull over it.. What's my best bet for at least securing it down, maybe some L brackets? I'm worried about drilling something back there tho..

before i put mine in the panel i had a big 2x10 box just sittin in the back. i actually just took out my subs and then used 8, 2 inch sheet metal screws to secure my box down. just fired up the ol drill and drove them straight thru the floor. just make sure you dont hit the gas tank if you decide to do this!
btw, while i had it screwed down my truck was broken into twice and the only thing stolen was the deck, but otherwise my subs and amps were all screwed down and were untouched. also you may want to use a screw with a socket style head that way a thief cant just use a regular screw driver on them.

Good info, thanks guys.. Now I just gotta get the motivation to go try and do it, haha..

Good info, thanks guys.. Now I just gotta get the motivation to go try and do it, haha..
i would do it soon.
because if you just keep putting it off then when your truck gets broken into and your stuff is gone itll be really easy to do it then. but then what is left to protect?
ive done all i can to keep thiefs out, ie: tint, top notch alarm, stealth sub, hidden amps, a cargo cover, and even removing the faceplate of my deck and not leaving anything someone may want in my truck, such as ipod(s) cell, cash, recepts and other info that can be used...
it takes some getting use to but i find it worth it in the end when you dont have to replace glass, key holes and car audio.
ive already spend well over 700 dollars in just glass and damage caused by a thief. then the cost to replace everything that was stolen and then add the cost of tint, alarm etc...
it prob sounds like im going on a rant or somethin... but i just dont want it to happen to anyone else.
Best of luck to ya!

You're definitely right about being safe.. I always take my faceplate off and never leave my ipod laying around.. Doors always locked too, I actually like using the keyless entry thing now.. I think the rear glass is tinted a little, but you can still see it there if you take a close look.. So yea, I definitely want it bolted down soon, but I def. don't wanna hit the gas tank, haha! I have it directly behind the back seat - so would I be good to screw it down right there, like on the left/right of the box?

Y I definitely want it bolted down soon, but I def. don't wanna hit the gas tank, haha! I have it directly behind the back seat - so would I be good to screw it down right there, like on the left/right of the box?

by back seat you mean the very back seat? thats where i had mine. flat up against the seat too. you should be ok if you take a look under there and break out the measuring tape.
take measurements on the bottom of where the tank roughly is, then replicate those measurements inside in the cargo area to get a general idea of where it may be.
the only way i see you hitting it is if you drove a screw in the upper left corner of the box and went at an angle. otherwise youd be fine. obviously the other side is plenty clear of the tank.

yea all the way in the back is where I have it.. i'm gonna go take a look at it tomorrow.. now i have a drill and all that, so what's the procedure - do i have to drill a hole first, or can i just put a screw directly in? i've never done anything like this before.. those screws with the socket heads sound like a good idea too..

well being me, I just went to lowes and got some sheet metal screws that were bout 2 inches long (depending on the thickness of your box) with a 3/8 socket head on them. I didn't drill any holes or anything, just drove the screws in there. Then again I was in a hurry to get to a concert later that night. So you may want to drill a starter hole but make sure it's not too big. 1/8 inch or smaller should be fine. I also used some washers between the screw head and the MDF. You know that stuff can be...? If your not payin attention you can keep tightening your screws and sink them too deep which will result in poor strength.

!

im likin those amps! that looks stealthy:thumbsup: and slick...:cool:
when i do yet another audio overhaul im doin that. is it more complicated then what it looks like?
an MDF box a few inches high with tan carpet? i may put plexi over them tho because i do alot of wheelin and hauling stuff while i wheel, like misc. tools, spare parts, jack, water, tow straps/chains, carpet... and i dont wanna scratch up the amps or get some mud in there. ill just need to add some type of cooling fan and some vent holes.

ah man! you took the pics off. looked great btw

Back