• Register Today It's free!

Amsoil and rad cap

thamusic54

Reaction score
City, State
Kearny, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLS
I just bought a 06 Ex Xls, that looks and ride like great. I bought it from the second owner who never used for a year(wife drives a Mercedes 500, don't like trucks). I took the car to my mechanic, and the guy was impressed. Somebody told me to use Amsoil, which is considered the best synthetic oil in the market. Is this correct? Will it affect the car's performance?
Also, on the first day I found an antifreeze leak. took it back to the previous owner, and he had his mechanic changing the radiator. Two days later, I found an small leak under the car. Took it back to the mechanic who replaced the radiator. Guess what? I was parked for over an hour and the car didn't leak. Anyways, he checked and asured me that it was ok.
Parked it in my house, and I saw the small leak again. I used to repair my own cars years ago and I tried to follow the leak. Bingo. It was in the hose connected to the radiator that goes to the reservoir tank. I put a couple of Zip ties and Problem has been solved. However, somebody told me to use, instead of a 20psi cap, use a 16psi cap to reduce the pressure in the radiator.
I wrote to Stant and they told me don't do it. Has anybody here change from 20 psi cap to 16 psi? Any problems/ BTW. I'm in love with my Ex. My first threat. GREAT FORUM.:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am by no means a mechanic, but what I do know from reading is that Amsoil is a very good synthetic, along with Royal Purple. Anyway, those are "the cream of the crop" and plan on paying $10 - $15 a quart. I suggest reading up on synthetics. Some owners may swear by them, and extending an oil change to 7500 miles or more can be accomplished. For a lot cheaper, you can use regular 5W-20 (or whatever your vehicle calls for), and change your oil at 3000 - 5000 miles like others suggest. Oils are a lot different (and also vehicle engines) and both last longer than the oil's from our parents and grandparents day that required changing at 3000 miles. There are many posts about oil and oil filters, so don't skimp on a filter by using a cheap Fram either. A motorcraft filter is considered "one of the best" because it is made by "Wix" or "Napa"?

I have my XLT's oil reminder set to 5000 miles. I use Wix filters and Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-20 full syn... If it was convenient to change the filter without changing the oil, I would consider going even farther than 5000 miles.

BITOG (Bob is the oil guy website) rates the Quaker State very well and it is freaking cheap in the 5 quart bottle at Wally World... like $23.

BITOG also has some great oil filter reviews and you can see that Fram is garbage. Also recommend the Wix.

Royal Purple and Amsoil are probably "as good as" most other synthetics, but in the life of the vehicle I doubt they will make any difference compared to a good full synthetic.

Some guys will compare the base stocks of synthetics to judge their quality and look for Group 4 base stock as the best. Although many good oils are now Group 3.

I am by no means a mechanic, but what I do know from reading is that Amsoil is a very good synthetic, along with Royal Purple. Anyway, those are "the cream of the crop" and plan on paying $10 - $15 a quart. I suggest reading up on synthetics. Some owners may swear by them, and extending an oil change to 7500 miles or more can be accomplished. For a lot cheaper, you can use regular 5W-20 (or whatever your vehicle calls for), and change your oil at 3000 - 5000 miles like others suggest. Oils are a lot different (and also vehicle engines) and both last longer than the oil's from our parents and grandparents day that required changing at 3000 miles. There are many posts about oil and oil filters, so don't skimp on a filter by using a cheap Fram either. A motorcraft filter is considered "one of the best" because it is made by "Wix" or "Napa"?

Thx fifthranger. I think I'm gonna get the Wix oil filter. Good references. Thx again.

Feetwet, I'm still undecided with the oil. I have read so many reviews about them that at this moment I'm confused. lol
Some of them say that the AMSOIL gets thicker after a while, and it's on the long run no too good for the engine.
However, Quaker State, being cheaper has a good reviews. Is Quaker 100% synthetic? Not like M1?

edwx, the link is great, but it has different opinions. How a 16psi cap radiator will affect te engine, in a weather like the one in the Norteast9New Jersey)? NAPA has the 16psi radiator cap for $8.50.
Should I go for it?

I have been using a 16 lb radiator cap from Advance Auto for about a year now through cold and hot and back to cold weather with no change in anything, including no leaks. If this is what it takes, it is worth the few dollars to stop this problem, or in my case, prevent it from ever happening.

I have been using a 16 lb radiator cap from Advance Auto for about a year now through cold and hot and back to cold weather with no change in anything, including no leaks. If this is what it takes, it is worth the few dollars to stop this problem, or in my case, prevent it from ever happening.

Thx, Old as Dirt. That's exactly what I need: to prevent it from happening to my new radiator. I'll get the 16psi cap.

I really like my 16psi cap. It works well, and I used to have a small coolant leak that has since stopped. Have had my cap for over a year in 0F to 95F with no ill effects.

Here also 16psi cap and no problems and no change in anything!

Lukas2009, Thanks for the input. I bought the cap and so far is good. Car warms up in less than 2 minutes.

Back