...and this is why I can't have nice things. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

...and this is why I can't have nice things.

groovy55

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
So on Sunday we headed out to my GF's grandparent's place for a fathers day celebration in my 4 day old Explorer. As I pull into their parking lot, which is covered in bark, I cut the wheel all the way to the left, doing probably 1-2 mph in order back into a parking spot. Well I go about 3 feet with the wheel locked to the left and we hear a loud POP. My GF asks me what I hit and I said I don't know...the parking lot was empty. I back into the spot and we both get out to look and my GF says "Don't come over here"...which of course makes me run over to look and I see this:
67498ded-270c-41b3-8762-a4b8bf7b57a6.jpg

Needless to say I pretty much shat myself, cried and puked all at the same time. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Upon further inspection it looks like the shroud in the wheel well wasn't attached at the front and caught on some of the bark, bent back and got pulled under the tire...notice the tire track along the underside of the shroud....and from the looks of that burn hole it was like that probably from the factory.
20130616_175001.jpg

20130616_212503.jpg

Needless to say my dealer is replacing the damaged parts free of charge.

K.C.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That would suck to have happened, at least they're doing the right thing and fixing your vehicle free of charge.

That’s a “Hoover” - it really sucks.

But some good points: (1.) it’s an easy fix. (2.) doesn’t look like you have any body damage. (3.) it didn’t happen while you were on a high speed road. That would have been really bad. (4.) your polished wheel looks fine. (5.) You’ve got a good dealer.
Your baby will be just fine shortly!

It's really good to hear that your dealer is going to 'make this right'. You'd be surprised at some posts here where a few owner's met with reluctance to address just simple issues. Good luck and happy motoring.:thumbsup:

Peter

That's OK, there will be more to come. If it makes you feel better I opened the rear liftgate in my garage the first week I had my Sport which then hit the garage door. My son then did it a couple days later. So I disabled the switch. Next, a couple weeks ago had the liftgate open outside, jumped in hit the interior switch to close it, started the car and put it in drive which unkowingly stopped liftgate and drove into garage upon where it hit the door, AGAIN! Only minor knicks which only I know about. Just hurts the ego a little bit.

That's OK, there will be more to come. If it makes you feel better I opened the rear liftgate in my garage the first week I had my Sport which then hit the garage door. My son then did it a couple days later. So I disabled the switch. Next, a couple weeks ago had the liftgate open outside, jumped in hit the interior switch to close it, started the car and put it in drive which unkowingly stopped liftgate and drove into garage upon where it hit the door, AGAIN! Only minor knicks which only I know about. Just hurts the ego a little bit.
Why don't you just set/adjust the liftgate opening height. That is what I did and it the first day I had it and now it stops opening about two inches below the garage door.

Peter

Tried that too, but then I hit my head on it

Tried that too, but then I hit my head on it

Me too :( but before I tried that, my wife closed the garage door while the hatch was up.... It was not pretty at all. Needless to say $1,700 later we do not open the rear hatch in the garage anymore! Now we are moving again and the new house has a much larger/taller garage door so we shouldn't have this problem anymore.

what's the white stuff on the pictures? noise damper?

Thanks for the replies...I know "things happens" but this was a little more than a door ding so I went mildly mental. Glad the stealership is stepping up to the plate though...can't wait to get it fixed, so I can move on to the next problem...LOL!!

Yeah that white stuff is some sort of noise dampening material...or maybe heat insulation.

Happy Days are hear again...the dealer (Brandon Ford) did a great job with the repair.
They ended up having to replace all the plastic parts of the front bumper, which meant a trip to the paint bay.
After 3 days in ICU the Silver Surfer is all cleaned up and ready for action:
20130626_171348.jpg

20130626_171336.jpg

Back