Another Moisture In Tail Light Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Moisture In Tail Light Question

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Guys, I searched the forums for this topic, and found a few regarding some of the newer generation Ex's...but none pertaining to my 99 2nd Generation. I am constantly having to replace the reverse light bulbs in my tail lights. (I would have to say probably once a year...when inspection rolls around). Anyway, I am assuming that moisture is getting in there and shorting out the bulb. I haven't noticed the problem with my other tail light bulbs. It's not a hard fix by any stretch, but it is annoying to have to buy new bulbs all the time. If indeed there is moisture getting in, what would be the route to take to remedy this problem? Seal with a caulk or glue...or to try to get a thin gasket to use? My father-in-law has a 98 Ex with a moisture problem in the tail lights...and he has rigged up a small piece of plastic that goes over top of the light housing that deflects water onto the outside of the cover. It seems to work for him, but I was wondering what other options I might have. Thanks guys.

Not sure how to solve your issue exactly, but I have visible moisture in my taillight but I have no issues with shorting.

I only assumed it was the moisture getting in there and messing with the electrical. I will figure out some way to seal the light housing better and see if that fixes the light bulb problem. If not, then by process of elimination, I will try to figure it out. Thanks.

I have had them fill with water, so I took a 1/16th inch drill bit, and drilled a weep hole...it is undetectable, it drains, and causes me no further trouble.

Back