Any long term Monroe "Load Leveler" coilover users? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any long term Monroe "Load Leveler" coilover users?

96eb96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB V6 OHV 4WD
I am referring to the rear shocks with coil springs. Do they hold up well? I currently have sensatracs, almost 10 years old already, maybe 30-35K miles. Still ok, but not exactly like new.

Have a $20 speedperk at advance and I can get a pair them for about $60 with discount.

I don't really have spring sag (I'm just within the 3/4" inch spec side to side difference with a full tank) but am more interested in tightening up the rear on curves. Not sure I want to invest in an expensive sway bar at this point.

Not looking for miracles - but do they make a difference? I know they are for heavy loads but that is secondary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been looking at those and the Gabriel verison.

I've had Monroe SensaTracs on all four corners for about 37k miles, since Oct of '13. Not really long term. I had the dreaded Explorer 'butt sag' on the rear. I put Monroe 37122's on the front and the 58617 coil overs on the rear. Big difference for me (I had MonroeMatic OEM replacements before that.)
Raised the rear by about 1.5"-2" or so and really stiffened up the ride. I don't carry any loads and seldom tow but they suit me just fine. I know some folks don't care for the Monroe's but I could not be happier as I like a truck to ride like a truck, not a couch. I don't think Monroe calls them SensaTrac Coil Over any more, tho. They have a similar product with a different name. I did do all 4 corners at the same time, not fronts first then rears or vice versa. I figured if I'm doing shocks I'd do all four. There is a place here in town that rents lifts so I did them there. Lots easier than using stands.

Soon after that I did Moog end links with Energy Suspension bushings, both F & R. Also did F & R sway bar bushings with OEM bushings. Ride is nice and firm, not real stiff, but definitely like a truck.

I have the Monroe Coil-overs on one of my Sports. Maybe 5-6 K miles on them, and they do fine except
for a few squeaks from the springs. I also have the EE anti-sway bar and an extra leaf, so mine is really
tight in corners. The Monroes did not give much extra height, but they did make the rear stiffer and harder
to push down on the bumper.

I'd recommend them over plain shocks.

I have the Monroe Coil-overs on one of my Sports. Maybe 5-6 K miles on them, and they do fine except
for a few squeaks from the springs. I also have the EE anti-sway bar and an extra leaf, so mine is really
tight in corners. The Monroes did not give much extra height, but they did make the rear stiffer and harder
to push down on the bumper.

I'd recommend them over plain shocks.

Is the EE/HellWig Rear Sway bar a bolt on kit to existing holes or is it something you have to drill and bolt on?

^ Hellwig 7648 and Addco 633 are supplied with frame brackets and bushings. Reuse OEM bolts, no drilling required.

Explorer Express X-Spec is no longer listed on their web site and likely discontinued. Bummer, it was the thickest one.

^ Hellwig 7648 and Addco 633 are supplied with frame brackets and bushings. Reuse OEM bolts, no drilling required.

Explorer Express X-Spec is no longer listed on their web site and likely discontinued. Bummer, it was the thickest one.

I suspected that. EE wanted to raise the price from the $175 range it used to be, and when they did they didn't sell many more.

They work great.
Had them for a while and they hold up to tons of beating. Can't really go wrong.
Wait until 'shocktober' at most auto parts places, good sales on shocks. (Mail in rebates)

Wait until 'shocktober' at most auto parts places, good sales on shocks. (Mail in rebates)

Good advice to heed. Note in my post #3 above that I installed the Monroes in Oct '13 during the 'shocktober' event. Paid $167 total for all four shocks. I don't know what the regular price would have been.

I'm probably the most long term user of them on here, never had any problems always worked well and I've actually had them on several different vehicles . Some will say that they will break the mounts but that is BS unless your rig is rotten , and yes they make the rear a lot tighter and give you a lot more control , no more rocking boat feel

Thanks for the reviews guys. I think that may be what's on the back of my new 98, not knowing yet what brand they are. I'm hoping they can handle 300lbs or so loads for a while, until I get my mail truck back up running.

I once encountered one where the ring that supported the lower part of the spring had pushed past it stop, but I don't know what brand it was. I've never seen anyone making these coil-over style shocks except Monroe, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Good advice to heed. Note in my post #3 above that I installed the Monroes in Oct '13 during the 'shocktober' event. Paid $167 total for all four shocks. I don't know what the regular price would have been.

Shocktober is going on now. I have 4 old sensatracs that look like crap(I think sears installed them over 12 years ago, and the auto center is out of business not sure if I can warranty), and I have some brake dive, especially in the rear. They are starting to feel like the OEMs I replaced.

The rears are very likely getting the monroe coilovers - I measured again and I'm probably 7/8 difference side to side, even playing with the Tbars. They will be about 60 out the door with discounts.

For the fronts I'm thinking either rancho 5000 or monomax - I want to reduce roll as much as possible. My shocktober rebate will only be 30 if I go rancho, but I also read very good things about monomax. I liked the sensatracs but not sure if I want them again.

Also replacing all sway bar bushings with the energy suspension kits for front and rear. Was about 60bucks for both. The rear rubber swaybar is all dryrotted.

I got a new front Sway bar link from a recall at ford- again well over a decade ago- (the plastic one) but the rubber looks a bit tired at the end.

It is a truck with 1940s suspension tech - not expecting miracles. Almost became an owner of a 15' sport, but the exhaust stunk too much.

how is the ride on these with no load?

how is the ride on these with no load?

Not too bad, definitely stiffer but not so much that the rear end bounces around. My leafs had probably fatigued enough so that the addition of the coil over shocks just brought it back to original ride height or close to it. I don't find the handling characteristics strange or anything like that.

I am referring to the rear shocks with coil springs. Do they hold up well? I currently have sensatracs, almost 10 years old already, maybe 30-35K miles. Still ok, but not exactly like new.

Have a $20 speedperk at advance and I can get a pair them for about $60 with discount.

Did you buy the original Sensatracs from Advance Auto? If so, could you get them replaced under their lifetime warranty policy?

Back