Any way for CarPlay to work on stock 2013 Limited Sony system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any way for CarPlay to work on stock 2013 Limited Sony system?

autigers1970

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
I'm new to Explorers. In fact I haven't purchased one yet but I plan to in the coming months. I think I understand that some of the 2016 models can be updated to Sync 3 which will then work with Apple CarPlay. I was wondering if CarPlay will work at all on older models, such as the stock Sony system that comes on the Limited trim from 2013-2015.

If not, what will appear on the screen when you plug in your iPhone? Can you control music through the touchscreen? Will Apple Maps show up or do you have to use the built in navigation from the stock unit? And does Ford still keep the maps and directions updated on the in-stock nav?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The map info for the navigation is contained on an SD card. The map info is updated from time to time and you would have to buy a new card to get the latest maps.
Many members use their phones for more up-to-date info and directions.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The map info for the navigation is contained on an SD card. The map info is updated from time to time and you would have to buy a new card to get the latest maps.
Many members use their phones for more up-to-date info and directions.

Peter

Thanks for the reply.

So is the built-in nav the only one that will show up on the screen? Or can you project Apple Maps on to it from your phone at all (or does that require full-blown CarPlay)?

Thanks for the reply.

So is the built-in nav the only one that will show up on the screen? Or can you project Apple Maps on to it from your phone at all (or does that require full-blown CarPlay)?
I believe only the built-in navigation will show on the screen. I don't have a Smartphone so I have no experience with external capabilities. I have read where members bought new 'updated' SD navigation cards and found that the maps were still approximately up to 2 years out of date. That is why many have resorted to using their phones.

Peter

I've read some articles that suggest some 2016 models can be updated to SYNC3 which would support CarPlay. Is that true for 2016 Explorers? And if so, is it limited to certain trim levels or sound systems?

Not sure if you found your answer but, I have a 13 with the Sony System and can tell you, Apple CarPlay is not supported. Sync3 has both Apple and Google functions.

Back