• Register Today It's free!

Anybody rebuild an A4LD

Lee Carroll

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL
I have a 92 explorer auto 4wd. When I put into gear I would hear a clunk noise. I was driving down a highway on ramp and let off on the gas and then gave it gas and I heard a thump like someting snapped and I lost drive. I get no response when I put it in any gear. U-joints ok. Ruled out transfer case because when put in park wheels locked. Droped tranny pan and fluid was clean with no metal. I am removing tranny to inspect.

Does any one have any idea what may have broke and how hard is it to rebuild tranny yourself/any tips!

Thanks
Lee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no problem......

I have decided to learn how to rebuild my transmissions after having TWO ford rebuild jobs go bad.

Al ....... Mesa, AZ

pump alignment tool

The alignment tool isnt really that expensive, and you must use one:

Dead Link Removed

Pump alignment tool

That's pretty cheap but the $100 one comes with multiple adaptors and I think some seal insertion stuff.

I'm rebuilding a 92 A4LD and it is in remarkable shape considering I've been grinding up the star washer for probably 70K. I think these could go forever if it wasn't for the parts that break. My clutches and bands still look like new. I'm not even touching my pump. Parts come out and stack back in easily if you have an engine stand to mount it with valve body off. It is unbelievable how a part can be totally chewed up and the part it mounts to doesn't even have a scratch. Can't believe the hardness of some of these parts. The main section is so easy to work on. Valve body is a different situation. Work on a soft blanket so when parts come out they don't bounce and roll. Most times you can skip the valve body and only replace damaged parts. You can always do the valve body later.

Here's what you're in for.

Attachments

• dsc00341.jpg
    dsc00341.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 7,189

Looks Like Fun

For those of you that have teken them apart what tools other than the pump alignment tool do you need. Im thinking of rebuilding one of the A4LD's. I have removed valve bodies before, but never further than that. I have the ATSG manuals _ the A4LD and the update manual. It doesnt look too hard- what does give me pause is the number of changes and combinations that the various parts have had over the years.
Im looking for a core to have a go with.

Parts sources for hard parts?

The alignment tool isnt really that expensive, and you must use one:

SteveVB: You only need the pump alignment tool if your goign to be installing a new front pump.

Thanks

Thanks Ill take a look at those.

Al, If Im taking the trans apart I would be replacing the pump, doesnt seem cost effective to me to go through the trouble of doing all of the work and not touch the pump. Plus most of the rebuild problems I have heard about deal with the pump and the seals at the front of the trans. Im going to look into a new align bored housing and a new pump and crank bushing , anything at the front that can be replaced I think at this point- althouhg I havent cracked a case so really dont know what I will find. Thats the plan for now.

Thanks again for the sources. .

Steve VB,
Ok, didn't know you were replacing the front pump. On the A4LD, the front pump seal, is what tends to explode (ie; leak) Haven't heard anything bad about the pumps.

Good Luck!

What's Wrong?

Thanks for all the great info!!!

Finished pulling tranny today (took 2 days but no real problems). No metal in pan and fluid looks good (red not burnt). Torque converter looks OK but how can you tell? Tail shaft turns ok. center forward shaft turns ok. Forward out side shaft does not turn with hand pressure, splines look ok. Any ideas of what is wrong. While removing tranny found vacuum line off, could this cause no drive engagement in forward or reverse(original problem was lost all drive when traveling 35 mph down highway ramp, will not move in any gear, A4LD.

Lee

The vaccumm modulator controls line pressure in the A4LD I would assume. (that would lead to failure)

Vacuum modulator would cause late shift

I would expect a loss of pressure to do it like bore 208 being stuck. The hard part failures are easy to find. I've had the OD planetary gear weld break once and the OD clutch drum shear off at the star washer. The valve body is a real grey area that the manual doesn't cover. Are you sure the one way clutches are all working? Just currious, does the low/reverse servo have a double lip O-ring on the piston? Not your problem but wonder if your last rebuild used the new style.

For those of you who have had the valve body off on an A4LD... is this supposed to be there? I don't see where it could have come from on the valve body in this area nor does the book make any mention of it or maybe I missed it. If anyone is interested I have close to 130 pics of a complete 94 A4LD tear down.

Attachments

• dsc00383.jpg
    dsc00383.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 7,078

The spring

It is a filter.

It is shown on page 61 in Fig. 61 of the update manual I have; they call it the Converter Clutch Solenoid Case Filter.

text:

"A spring was installed in the transmission case worm track to trap large machining chips and reduce engine stall complaints created by a stuck converrter lock up valve in the valve body(see Figure 61)

Figure 61 is basically your pic. - well a line drawing of what you took a pic of.

Hope that helps

Al,

Clean out your PM box, I wasn't able to reply to you. I have about 130 pics, or 7 something megs at 640x480. I'm not sure what would be the most useful as I pretty much documented the piece by piece teardown so I can reference where everything goes. If you want I can email you all 130 pics but I want to make sure that your email account/connection can handle it.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update manual

Tim,

If you dont have the update manual it has some additional useful information particularly useful if you have a 90-92 or 93 trans when they changed the drums and bands from double to single wrap and then back again in 92 -93. It also has some of the shift improvement mods that the transgo kit covers, not all of them though. Section on the OD planet - no sources of parts though.

Its the ATSG Ford A4LD update handbook - published 8/95

Back