• Register Today It's free!

Anybody spraying?

mobot

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT
I've always wondered how my Explorer would run with the help of a little shot of nitrous, say 50 RWHP. I've always decided against it because I've already broken 2 trannies without it. Is it asking too much or what? Anybody got any stories and/or experiences? Certainly got enough room in the back for a couple bottles... :D

Thanks

There are 2 types of nitrous engines, those that have been blown up, and those that will :) I wouldn't do it unless you build the engine for nitrous. If you have the 5speed, I would think the tranny would die REALLY fast.

BUT, if you do do it, do a good job, get a WOT switch, a fuel pressure switch and all the other fun stuff that it takes to do it right. just remember if you blow the crap out of your engine, it wasn't a cheap way to get horsepower

Yes I have run it before on a V-8...Do your homework, and don't believe everything you hear..Most setups are a quick, 2 to 3 second burst..A 50 to 75 powershot is no more strain then hitting a lower gear..The rpm will rise suddenly by 500 to 1500 rpm, depending on the size of the jets..There is more to it then putting a plate on, You have to regulate the fuel pressure, have a surge and bleed protector, and I recommend getting a controller..After you do the research, you will figure somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 ... Good Luck

I definitely agree with the majority of both of y'alls posts. Nitrous is something that must be done right or not at all.

I do have a good bit of experience with the stuff... had a wet kit on a Mustang back in the late 80s and have a dry kit on my other vehicle right now. Both cars love(d) the stuff but I did pop the head gaskets on the 'Stang after the nitrous solenoid stuck open :eek:

True...the newer systems with all of the safety components make it a lot more fool proof these days. Hell, there weren't even nitrous filters available back when I popped the top off that 5.0.

If I did a kit for my truck I would go with a dry kit that has a WOT, MSD window and fuel cutoff switches.

I mainly am interested in seeing if anyone has tried it on one of the 91-94 4 liter V6 trucks. I know the comp. ratio is low enough and the bottom end is stout as hell, too. My main concern would be the auto tranny which has always been the weak link with mine. I still think a 50 dry shot would be safe but would rather not risk blowing the tranny without anyone's positive experiences to back it up.

Thanks

Back