• Register Today It's free!

Anyone else make bullits?

Happy Jack

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I load smokeless and black powder cartridges. 38 Colt, .38 special, .357 mag, 44 Colt, 44 WCF, 45 LC, 45-70, and 12 gauge.

Anyone else make bullits? What do ya load?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I first saw this, I really assumed you meant the Bullit style rims, or a Bullit grill... lol.

What's your process on making bullets? Seems like it would be an interesting read. :)

It is kind of one of those things you need to research a bit. The process varies a good deal between the type of powders used and type of cartridges.

The basics are mostly the same. Clean the empty reloadable cartridge case, or use a new case. Deprime the empty case and size. No need to deprime a new case. Prime with a new primer. Neck size and charge with powder. Seat and crimp a new bullit. Take um some place and make some noise (ur make um smoke Bobby).

I have a single stage press. For shotgun it's just a little different. Still need to size and deprime used hulls. Then prime with new primer. Charge with powder. Install a new wad. Charger with shot and prep for crimp. Then crimp. I have a Lee Load all for 12 gauge. Smokless shotgun shells are cheap and I don't load smokless shotgun shells. But black powder shotgun shells are expensive to buy so I do load real black powder.

Pretty cool!
Always wondered how a bullet works I guess, all makes sense now, especially the crimping.
My grandpa got a 21 shot salute, and I got one of the shells, and it looked different, but it makes sense now.

Thanks for the story!

:)

the term bullet refers to the projectile leaving the barrel
the term cartridge refers to a loaded case ready to fire
to reload means to assemble the case, the primer, the charge(or powder) and the bullet

Been reloading for over 30 years

Pretty cool!
Always wondered how a bullet works I guess, all makes sense now, especially the crimping.
My grandpa got a 21 shot salute, and I got one of the shells, and it looked different, but it makes sense now.

Thanks for the story!

:)

Thanks for your grandfathers service. Most of cartridges used for furnerals are blanks and do not have a projectile. they are crimped on the end kinda like a shotgun shell.

the term bullet refers to the projectile leaving the barrel
the term cartridge refers to a loaded case ready to fire
to reload means to assemble the case, the primer, the charge(or powder) and the bullet

Been reloading for over 30 years

Me too. What do you load?

anything that comes out of a barrel! lol

Im about to. Just picked up a big reloading set for 9,45,38/357 and a few others. I have a couple thousand 45 brass to start with. Just picked up a few cook books. Im still in the reading stage and hope to start reloading soon.

~Mark

Coolness. I have used goex for .44-40, 44 Colt, 38 Colt, 45 LC, but seem to have a bit of trouble with 45-70 for an original Trapdoor. Any words of wisdom to get a group on paper.

start with 15 grains of Unique with lead watch your pressures as you work up in grains
also try Reloader 7 check book for load data

All my loads are high pressure high horsepower so I can't give you a start load

use 210M primers M is for Match not Mag

Yup the preasure thing. The rifle was made circa 1893? I am really not wanting to try smokeless in it. Just too worried about the higher preasure. Did a little CAS and have used cookies and wads to keep lever gun and revolvers going. I've seen some Goex black powder Trapdoor loads for sale (Ten X maybe?). Some folks say paper patch it. Others say use a drop tube. Not looking for a Quigley shot, just trying to get a group on paper to sight it in.

Thanks for the help though.

Back