Anyone have an Excursion?

DocVijay

Meow
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
I'm thinking of trading my X for an Excursion. I know, I really don't want to, but I need the room. It's either an Excursion or a Suburban/Yukon XL, but I'd rather stay with Ford. Also, the 0% interest for 60 months deal can't be beat; it looks like it's the right time to buy.

If anyone has one of these beasts I'd love to hear about how you like it. Also, any bad experiences you've had. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We don't have an Excursion, but on eof our neighbors has a Excursion Limited with the Powerstroke turbo diesel in it and they love it.people sometimes complain of gas milage of those trucks, but the diesel does suprisingly well on gas. Not sure what model you were looking at, but I think they are nice strong trucks.

My opinion

I'm not brand loyal, i respect each manufacturer for their products and features. I would choose the Yukon XL, because it it much more "utilitarian", as well as handles better, and gets better gas milage than most of the Excursion option.

Just my $.02

If security and peace of mind when your on the road is also what you're looking for then I would reccomend it. I would also say get the power stroke option and you'll get about 15-18 mpg, and the V10 will get you about 16 hwy and 12 cty. I drove fords test model for alternative fuel, it was a limited and really no different than the ride in any excursion but it was the smoothes vehicle I've driven in a long time. Screw the Yukon, and I'm not brand loyal that much either, but my friend traded his Yukon for an Expedition because it was junk, well maybe not junk but not as good as the expedition anyway.

Expedition !

What about the Expedition?

I think it looks awesome. You can haul just as much as the Excursion or almost as much. But it looks better (my op.) And I know that there are alot more mods availible for it. ie lifts, superchargers, brush guards, ect.....

My 0.02 cents...

I agree with Alto. The Expeditions are huge on the inside, what I would think would be plenty of room. And you could upgrade the engine thus increaing MPG...

where did you see the 0%

Im thinking of getting an Excursion, or F 250 CC and the financing sounds great , wont have to use up cash, but I did a quick search and found 5.9% or so but no 0.0 or even 0.9.
Was it for 01's or 02's and ordered or on the lot Thanks for the help.

Those of you that think the Expedition has almost as much room as the Excursion- that is a really BIG almost. The EXcursion is much wider and has much more room after the rear seat.

Yeah, i would not go with the exped. the excursion has more mods available. it is basiacally a F250 or 350 superduty. there are tons of optons. Lifts etc. plus that diesel engine can get a banks kit and you'd add so much power. it can tow much more then the expedition too. Just my thoughts. BTW: The guy who lives behind me drives a fullsize extended E-350 powerstroke diesel and he claims even when hauling 5,000 pounds the truck still gets like 22MPG highway and 20 city. people have said they get as low as 12 MPG with the V-10, so it if was me it'd be the diesel all the way!
Good luck with your choice!

If you are gonna do heavy towing, I recommend the Excursion with the diesel. If all you want is room, I recommend the Expedition.

Thanks guys.

I appreciate all the help. I've thought about the Expedition also, but the Excursion is actually a lot bigger. I've done a side by side ocmparison at my dealership and the Excusrion has a lot more room. I'm still thinking though, so I can't say for sure yet. However, I have this aversion to diesels. I'm not sure why. If I got one it would be the V10. There's also no shortage of performance parts for it. WHen it had been out for just a month, there were already headers, exhaust, and chips for it.

SteveVB, If you go to the Ford web site and do the "Build your own," you can pick a "special APR" option when you use the payment calculator. Ford officially only has 0% financing for 36 months, but here in West Texas, most of the Ford dealers extended it to 60 months. It's the same at many Chevy dealers also. When it comes down to it, it's up to the dealership. Ford can have certain special, which the dealership must honor, but above and beyond that is up to each dealership. Check the ads this Sunday in th paper, they had the offers advertised there last week over here.

Steve, I never said it had AS MUCH room, just that it had a ton of space in there. I guess it would be enough for me, but ya know, to each his own. To me, it just seems that the Excursion's are just a little to big, but again, that's just my personal pref.

95XLT, could I get a link that lists some mod's for the Excursion? I haven't seen any, but then again, I haven't been looking. I'm interested to see them, maybe gain a little knowledge about the Excursion's (I admit, I don't know much). I just knew there were a lot of mod's for the Exped.

v-10 for me

Thanks Doc Ill check out the Ford site.

Im with you on the Diesel- I think if you tow a 10000lb + or are going to drive 20k miles a year, or have a fleet of diesels the deisel is the way to go. Even with the reduced mileage for the v-10 the diesel wont pay for itself until 8 or 9 years out. the 5000 difference with finance charges(0% would help) will buy a ton of fuel. Plus gas is easier to find and you dont have the "diesel stink" after fueling up, and that diesel aroma that most diesel powered machines have after being used for a while. Oh yea, the noise which hopefully they reduce even more with the new 6.0 coming out in 03.

Thanks again

twotonefordexpl,
I had a pic of a very heavially modded up excursion from about a year ago. It is at home on my old computer though. I will search for it. Also if you have the November issue of Four WHeeler check out page 96...thats the excursion I saw. I think it has every mod one could want. If you don;t have four wheeler, I'll try to find th epic thisweekend if you want me to.

Here's a link I found, but there are bigger ones....
Dead Link Removed

Hey some info

Hey my parents bought a 99 suburban ( i know it is not an Excursion) but they bought in November and we got a hell of a deal cause no one buys cars due to christmas and dealrs are trying to get all the 99 out for 00 so i suggest you try buying about that time. you might want to check aobut that but i am 90 % sure

Wow....thanks 95XLT, I'll try and track down that picture...

Tom Rios (FAKRWEE) has a Excurison 4x4 V10 and he loves it. I have a F350 SuperDuty Crew Cab with the V10. It has the same room inside (except no third back seat) but you can do more things with it. You can haul more things because of the longer rear bed, you can put a large camper on it (like I do 11.6 ft. Lance) or I put my shell on it when the camper is not being used so that I have an enclose area to lock valuables or keeping the moisture out on things that I carry in the back. I have all of the creature comforts inside of the cab that the Excurison has plus a DVD player/TV. Cost just about the same. So there is another option for you to look at.

All I have to say is both the 350 and Excursion are sweet! Either way you're making the right choice. Just don't get some retarded color.

I'm gonna wait a month or two.

Thanks for all the info you guys. About the diesel vs. gas, as SteveVB said, with the thousands you save on financing, it more than pays for the difference in milage you would get with the diesel. I also thought about getting a F-350, but I really need an enclosed car (SUV). I saw a 4 wheeler mag where a guy bought a commercial version of the F-350, it was HUGE. He put on a bed and gave it a huge lift, like 14" or something. This guy literally needs a ladder to get in his truck. It was in a recent magazine, somone correct me if I got it wrong. It was all black and it was awesome. A bit impractical for me. I don't think even my dogs could jump the 5 feet straight up into the bed...

I think I'm going to wait until around November, as the 2001's are getting really marked down because dealers want to get rid of them. The Fed Reserve dropped interest another 0.5%, so it only gets better. Hopefully they'll still have the 0% financing also. I htink the current deal at my local dealers expires mid October. I'll see. Maybe I'll get it sooner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doc,
Was it a 350 or was it a 650? I saw some guy who bought a 650 and did a 4WD swap to it and raised it some extreamly tall height and stuck a 350 dually bed on the back. it was absolutly impressive!

Back