anyone know of some mods for a v8 awd? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone know of some mods for a v8 awd?

97xxxploder

Reaction score
City, State
central ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer v8 awd
so i just got a 97 explorer eddie bauer v8 awd. its got the 5.0 v8. i am just wondering what all mods people have done to these and what people like and dont like. it runs and drives great but needs minor things. i am also wondering if anyone know what the bumper can tow. i have a 600 pound trailer and a 400 pound atv. is that too much for just a bumper?? i am lookin for a reese hitch for cheap if anyone knows where to find one. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First Mod: Headers. Torque Monster Headers...search for them here
2nd Mod: Transmission Cooler

You should ALWAYS tow with a Reese hitch on these vehicles...1,000lbs IS the limit on the bumper ball....But I would never do it.

Ryan

i never tow or even pull another vehicle with my bumper in the past but this bumper looked to be reinforced into the frame. i have seen some strong bumpers in the past but im too scared to even pull my trailer. i was jsut wondering if anyone had pulled anything with just the bumper. im tryin to find a hitch if anyone has a used one for about $50. thanks for the advice

If you knew what held the bumper level, you wouldn't pull with it. Get a hitch- if you have money for gas for the ATV let alone for gas to fill the Ex to get to where you're riding, you have money for a hitch. :)

I'd have to recommend a MAC air filter, Warrior shackles (if the stock ones need replacing and/or if you're planning on lifting the truck...mine were nonexistent when I bought my truck) and some nice Bilstein shocks to make it ride better.

I'd also look into some cosmetic mods, like putting in some after-market headlights so you can actually see at night, re-wiring the fog lights so you can turn them on without the headlights being on, swapping out the instrument panel and installing an after-market stereo. All completely unnecessary, but fun little projects to do.

All of these and more can be found in threads (most stickied) already on the forum. Welcome!

If you are on a budget, forget headers. Dang near $800?? Stay with the simple "fun" stuff. These things aren't race cars anyway. Look for a hitch in the junkyards or on craigslist. I haven't bought one yet, since I have a company truck to do my towing, but I have seen them for $25-$50 around. Enjoy! Can't beat these things for a "good for everything" SUV.

Headers, while are expensive at first....should DEFINITLY be a part of any 'budget' build for these vehicles.

If NOTHING else, you have more power to tow with. And when you are NOT towing, you can get nearly 5mpg more.....That is a 25% improvement in mileage. At $4/gallon, it doesn't take long for them pay for themselves...

Ryan

not only r headers expensive but they r not always easy to put on. let alone getting the old ones off. ive seen lots of hours go into getting a busted bolt out. i am lookin at simple and fun mods. i got the truck for a good deal and dont want to put much money into it. i am currently installing new rear leaf shackles as mine were shot! i am also gonna take a wire brush to the under side and frame and then spray some rustoleum paint on it to help protect it. i live in ohio so rust is inevitable. after that i plan on lightly tinting the front windows, add a hitch, maybe put some leds on it for fun. i am also adding switches to control fog lights, aftermarket leds, and whatever else i want to control. will look into new headlights as well.

New headlights aren't bad- you can find them on eBay often for $70 for the whole 4 piece set, shipped. Makes a huge difference.

I think you've got the right mindset. :thumbsup:

Try www.car-part.com and search a radius around you for a hitch. My first one was $25 at a local wrecker, already pulled. If you have pick-n-pull yards around you, they might even be less, they just unbolt...

If you are on a budget, forget headers. Dang near $800??
Plus $300+ if you cant install them yourself!

Headers, while are expensive at first....should DEFINITLY be a part of any 'budget' build for these vehicles.

If NOTHING else, you have more power to tow with. And when you are NOT towing, you can get nearly 5mpg more.....That is a 25% improvement in mileage. At $4/gallon, it doesn't take long for them pay for themselves...

Ryan

Gas is back down to 3.13$ around me :D But if I could install these myself, id have already ordered them. But theres no way in hell without a garage, and some serious tools, that id be able to. (Meaning id have to pay a shop todo it, and they'd probably charge 400$ or more just in labor!)

Like Spdracer said, Torque Monster Headers are a very desirable mod. The stock manifolds truly suck and are prone to leaking. Lots of people have done the install themselves, but you've got to know what you're doing and be very patient. I'm a horrible mechanic so I didn't dare do it myself.

It's an involved job. I had mine done via the assistance of other Explorerforum users. It took a few days to do it right. Paying to get it done would cost a LOT more than $400, unless the guy's charging $50/hour or something (I'd love to find a garage that did good work for that).

I think it's less about a mechanic being good or not and more about a mechanic knowing the intricacies of our trucks. There are lots of great tips and tricks in the archives that people have learned by doing them.

I had my truck for over three years before I got the headers, but I wanted them based on the "hype" on these boards. Believe the hype! I'd pay the $800 again for the headers if I were to do it again. I've had them for 2+ years now. Outside of eating up several sparkplug wires because of inadequate routing on my part, they've been a superb addition to my truck.

I don't know about the 25% increase in mileage. I've never seen much in the way of mileage improvement. That's probably because I stomp it it often. :)

well to me, if its not broke dont fix it. my headers r in good shape with no leaks so im not complaining. if i was to drop money like that into my explorer u better believe its gonna be a suspension lift. the motor is a 5.0 so its got more than enough power for anything im gonna need it for. main use will be for winter driving, pullin a camper, and a small atv trailer. as for now its just tweaking the little things.

well to me, if its not broke dont fix it. my headers r in good shape with no leaks so im not complaining. if i was to drop money like that into my explorer u better believe its gonna be a suspension lift. the motor is a 5.0 so its got more than enough power for anything im gonna need it for. main use will be for winter driving, pullin a camper, and a small atv trailer. as for now its just tweaking the little things.

Good points. You're lucky you don't have a manifold leak. Mine did before the headers. :mad:

Like Spdracer said, Torque Monster Headers are a very desirable mod. The stock manifolds truly suck and are prone to leaking. Lots of people have done the install themselves, but you've got to know what you're doing and be very patient. I'm a horrible mechanic so I didn't dare do it myself.

It's an involved job. I had mine done via the assistance of other Explorerforum users. It took a few days to do it right. Paying to get it done would cost a LOT more than $400, unless the guy's charging $50/hour or something (I'd love to find a garage that did good work for that).

I think it's less about a mechanic being good or not and more about a mechanic knowing the intricacies of our trucks. There are lots of great tips and tricks in the archives that people have learned by doing them.

I had my truck for over three years before I got the headers, but I wanted them based on the "hype" on these boards. Believe the hype! I'd pay the $800 again for the headers if I were to do it again. I've had them for 2+ years now. Outside of eating up several sparkplug wires because of inadequate routing on my part, they've been a superb addition to my truck.

I don't know about the 25% increase in mileage. I've never seen much in the way of mileage improvement. That's probably because I stomp it it often. :)

If u live in northern MN I work for $40 hr Because i dont have anything else to do. I have put a few set of TMH on, IT IS NOT A BAD JOB!!! After the first set it goes good!! I have found 2 set on graigs list one for 300 close to BOB SHOP other $425 in FL. set on e-bay 475 and got lucky and found a complete explorer with TMH $400 it was wreck, But the header where great. And one set @ a junk yard in mn $75 I had to take them off. I do have 2 set left one set i am going to keep, the other i am thinking of selling this winter for $1000 INSTALLED . The new header bolts that they sell now make it a lot faster to install. I enjoy working on 5.0 explorers and MM. I dont like the 4.0s. This winter i am building a 1999 explorer 5.0 DRAG truck for my grandson. Trying to run 12s. I think the explorers are easy to work on just remove tires and iner fenders and everythink is wright there. If u have the old stock tube factory one even if u go with the cast iron ones help, and they cost about $50 each NEW and {IMO} i think u sould get at least 10hp over the old tube stock headers. I just did i few thing to my MM TMH ceramic plug wire boots heat socks magnaflow 12588 3in tail pipe in stock exit out the back comp cam 35-512-8 and a tune just got done last sunday. To day i walk away from a buddies lincoln Aviator, he got me off the line for about 30ft but when i hit 3k went buy him, i think it will run low 15s MAYBE 14.9s. Sorry for going on and on but if u need help PM me The time is JMO LATER Phil

I have a 1997 limited explorer v-8 and I did sas on mine if you got some tools and know how to use them it's fairly cheap I bought a junk 78 ford no motor no trans pretty much stripped for 100.00 took dana 44 and all front suspension and the 9" rear end off the truck hauled truck to scrap yard and got 175.00 for what was left of it gave 30.00 for a steering box from a 93 I think that was the year gave 300. for a set of tires and wheels on craigslist sold wheels for 150.00 done some tradin around and got a 208 transfer case if you got a scrap yard close some of them will sell you parts real cheap just get some research done first before you start cutting good luck

manual tcase

I pull my 2000+ lb golf cart on this tilt trailer all the time.

296902_2546548909398_1424050483_2860157_190575800_n-2.jpg

Its a tilt trailer, so that means i drive it up the trailer and it slams down (while hooked up to the truck) and I haven't seen any bending or warping of the bumper.

WITH THAT SAID, I'm not saying to do it, Its just my personal experience. If i had a chance to buy a hitch, I'd definitely go for it! I don't trust these bumper hitches as much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back