Anyone PlastiDipped The OEM Hard Tonneau Cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone PlastiDipped The OEM Hard Tonneau Cover?

SixPonies

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mahomet, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
A recent post in another ST group about PlastiDipping rims got me to thinking about other uses for PlastiDip. I bought my 2010 LTD last fall, and the OEM hard tonneau cover has a few scuffs in it. I can't recall seeing anything anywhere about someone refurbishing or repainting these covers. I figure that trying to repaint it would be a huge pain in the @$$ because of all of the rubber trim, latch covers, the center hinge, etc that would need to be removed to paint it.
Then I got to thinking, what about PlastiDip? Seems like that might be an easier way to go to improve the appearance of a scuffed up OEM hard tonneau cover. If it ends up not working well or doesn't look good, it can always be peeled right off!

So has anyone tried this, or heard of someone attempting this? I may just attempt it this summer...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How bad are your scuffs? Can't be sanded and compounded then buffed out?

For what its worth, I replaced the seal on the rear lid. Its simple rubber U-channel molding with an inner steel band that uses compression to hold snug. Every few inches you crimp it with some pliers. Removes in 30 seconds with a putty knife. And thanks to a thief, also had to replace a lock cover/bumper. Both jobs were super simple.

How bad are your scuffs? Can't be sanded and compounded then buffed out?

For what its worth, I replaced the seal on the rear lid. Its simple rubber U-channel molding with an inner steel band that uses compression to hold snug. Every few inches you crimp it with some pliers. Removes in 30 seconds with a putty knife. And thanks to a thief, also had to replace a lock cover/bumper. Both jobs were super simple.

The scuff marks are pretty severe, and can't be buffed out. The black paint is totally scraped away on some, and the base coat is visible.

What year is your Trac? If it's a Gen 2, do you have prices/part numbers for the molding and lock covers?

Gotcha. Mine is a Gen 2.

From what I understand, the lock covers (bumpers) are now obsoleted & no longer available. 7A2Z-99402A36-A is the part number for the rear and drivers side front (the ones with locks). The non-opening one that is on the passenger side of the front lid is 7A2Z-99286B27-A and allegedly these are still around.

The molding is part #7A2Z-9943720-A . Local dealers wanted like $130+, Taska/white bear lake dealer wasn't much less. Found it on ebay for right at $100 total shipped.

Sort of reviving.

Some kind of cloudyness going on with the tonneau. 99.9% sure its remnants of Liquid Glass paint sealer I applied a few years ago. I've tried meguiars ultimate compound, turtle wax polishing compound, clay bar, scrub brush. You name it. Truck is garage kept, washed regularly, so not oxidation. Father in law paints cars for a living and had been talking to him about getting this repainted. He wasn't sure what was going on with it and wanted to sand a test area. My biggest concern was he'd want to sand it smooth. So its been an ongoing issue I've tried to avoid.

So I decided to try a Mr Clean Magic Erasure and thought I'd share the incredible results. More significant in person, it was sunny outside and the phone just couldn't handle it. Little more pressure than wiping, but not exactly rubbing. Couple of strokes in one area and the trouble disappeared.

Before:
bc1.jpg

Rear half done:
bc3.jpg

Both lids finished:
bc13.jpg

Couple more:
bc11.jpg

bc10.jpg

Whatever the junk was, again I'm assuming paint sealer, was mainly in the crevices around the orange peel texture. Easiest to see in these last two before & after:

bc2.jpg

bc6.jpg

Ok, final last one:
bc7.jpg

Back