• Register Today It's free!

Tonneau hard cover water leaks

ap15102

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Limited
HI Just joined after purchasing a 2010 Sport Trac. The factory hard tonneau has a serious water leak problem that the dealer on 2 attempts (which took 5 days in the shop) has been unable to repair (after the last try it leaks even more along with returning the vehicle with cover and pick up bed cosmetic damage). The leak is centered around the left hinge area. The dealer replaced the hinge, hinge seal, and both end caps for the hinge. The tonneau came from the factory with 3 of the mounting bolts for the hinge stripped and protruding in the leak area which are now fully installed after the last dealer visit. The dealer told me they do not know what to do next and told me to try another dealer for repairs!!!!! Any ideas on what may work to stop the water leaks or any suggestions on what aftermarket tonneau's are available? I have no desire to let Ford touch my vehicle again and will try my own repairs. Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would ask for the regional manager and see if they have any input. Maybe they could swap the tonneau with a different truck on the lot.

I would ask for a new cover if they can't fix it then they should replace it.

Hi and thanks for your suggestions. I will try going higher up the Ford food chain and see if they can resolve the issue. Again thanks for your input.

You could also try another dealer beleive me not all dealers are created equal.

You could also go to a different dealer and "test drive" another trac (if you find one close enough), then do a quick swap while you're out... Not that I would ever do anything like that..lol. From the experience that I had with regional managers when I got my '07, I believe that they are just and exrta layer of insulation to keep the customers from blaming the dealers too much, and will probably point to the "this cover is not watertight" disclaimers. Having said that, you should be able to find a different dealership to swap the entire cover out for you - as others have pointed out, there are HUGE differences between dealers.

Remember if you swap. Going to have to pull locks out and swap them. Keyed to ignition key.

One quick thing--the cover isn't marketed as being waterproof. I know it's a technicality, but be prepared for Ford to use the explanation at some point. (I seem to recall it being either on a sticker or in the install instructions.)

The factory hard tonneau has a serious water leak problem that the dealer on 2 attempts (which took 5 days in the shop) has been unable to repair (after the last try it leaks even more along with returning the vehicle with cover and pick up bed cosmetic damage).

THAT is the only leg you have to stand on. If they damaged the cover/bed it's their responsibility to repair it to your satisfaction.

Back