Anyone weld in a drain plug for their automatic transmission? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone weld in a drain plug for their automatic transmission?

I forgot the part about you being 2WD. Your pan should slide out. I know on my 4x4 it slides out once I get the front driveshaft out of the way. It takes some finessing since the converter is only 2" below it. I can't think of any reason why yours wouldn't come out since mine does. I haven't removed one from a 2WD but I've done mine twice.

I have a 96 XLT 4WD, and I went ahead and drilled a 0.25" hole in the A/T pan at the lowest point. After thoroughly cleaning everything, I inserted a 1/4-28, grade 8, 3/8" long bolt from the outside and spun a nut on the inside. I then applied a small bead of JB weld around the nut, and let it set for a day. Finally, I removed the bolt and reinstalled it with a small copper washer between it and the outside of the pan.

I have done this on two other cars over the years, and it makes it very simple to R/R the fluid and drain the pan before being drenched by fluid, and I have never had a leak with the copper gasket. This method does not interfere with the internal workings of the trans, and the JB does not deteriorate.

Back