• Register Today It's free!

APIM Sync Module Needs Replacing

jcaltman

Reaction score
City, State
st simons island, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Im hoping someone can help with my question. My display screen on my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT died. The diagnosis says I need a new sync module/APIM The local dealership quoted $1700-1800 to replace. My husband is thinking to do it himself with a module that corresponds to my vin. My first question- Do we also need to replace the screen and second- could replacing the module cause issues with other modules in the car?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The apim is a separate module behind the screen. If your buying a used one make sure the engineering number on yours matches the engineering number on the replacement. I am not sure if it would still have to be flashed to the vehicle...maybe someone else can chime in on that

You should not have to replace the screen. The APIM is a separate item which, if I recall correctly, sits just above the CD player. You will need some trim removal tools to remove the trim on both sides of the radio/touch panel. I believe the APIM must be programmed with the 'as built' data for your Explorer.
I believe this is the part you need. Original 2011 Ford Explorer Module BT4Z-14D212-AC | Levittown Ford Parts (this is a forum vendor and offers a discount to members.

Peter

Thank you so much!

The apim is a separate module behind the screen. If your buying a used one make sure the engineering number on yours matches the engineering number on the replacement. I am not sure if it would still have to be flashed to the vehicle...maybe someone else can chime in on that
Thank you

At this point Sync 2 setups are so dime a dozen screen may come with it. That said only a "recessed" style screen will bolt in so you might have to swap it anyways. If you don't get a setup from exactly the same vehicle and options you will need it to be programmed. If you're on Facebook hit up the explorer groups and look for the user Mitral Shah, he can get you a programmed to your VIN APIM for a pretty reasonable price.

Back