Apple shows Siri car integration! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Apple shows Siri car integration!

Siri will be a breath of fresh air. She may or may not be a better system but at least she can say more that "please say a device, you can say..." I think I've had enough of that to last a lifetime. Ford can stick with whoever they want. As long as they program and test the way they do nothing will change.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nuance technologies is the maker of Siri and Sync. The reason Ford does not need the button is they already have the technology in their vehicles. My guess, only a guess, is Siri will work hand in hand with Sync when iOS6 is fully launched. Let's wait and see. Anyone using Siri successfully with MFT right now? I have an iPhone4 so,I cannot try it.

The other thing that may happen, Ford may make a selection in the side instrument clusters or to convert or select the talk button to become the Siri button. I am sure there is a workaround that will come out. For now, I guess you could just stick your iPhone upside down in the cupholder....

Nuance technologies is the maker of Siri and Sync. The reason Ford does not need the button ismtheynalready have the technology in their vehicles. My guess, only a guess, is Siri will work hand in hand with Sync when iOS6 is fully launched. Let's wait and see. Anyone using Siri successfully with MFT right now? I have an iPhone4 so,I cannot try it.

The other thing that may happen, Ford may make a selection in the side instrument clusters or to convert or select the talk button to become the Siri button. I am sure there is a workaround that will come out. For now, I guess you could just stick your iPhone upside down in the cupholder....

I have an iPhone 4s. When it's connected to Sync via Bluetooth, you can hear Siri over the speakers in the Explorer and say commands as well with the microphone in the vehicle. You have to use the button on the phone though in order to use Siri. I believe what happens is when you touch the Siri button on the iPhone, Sync thinks you are making a call, so you can hear and say commands through the car speakers.

That's why I bought one of those Nest Learning Thermostats from the Apple store <g>

One of the BEST purchases i have made in a long time! Love my Nest!

At the risk of a thread HiJack just thought I would drop a few facts as apposed to hearsay and opinion.

When Ford released MFT the marketing plan likely was to appeal to the largest demographic of technical users as apposed to the average techno peasant

That should have included Apple devices regardless if you love them or hate them.

365 million iOS devices sold and more than 80% of those customers are running iOS 5. Hear that, Android lovers?

Hang on, I have to have another glass of Apple Koolaid......mmmmm good!

Only 7% of customers are running the latest version of Android. That is what I'll never "get" about Android.

So why not integrate 100% with the most popular device/mobile OS?

Say what you want about Android, but there will never be another apple product in my house. I agree they make great products. But they steal others ideas and patent them and then try to sue the competition out of business. The justice dept should fine them billions of dollars for their anti-competitive practices.

As far as what version of OS you are on, that is a problem of open source. Google doesn't release the code to the OEMs until they announce it, and then the OEMs have to alter it for their devices.
At least with Android there is a choice of hardware and UI. With apple, the form factor has barely changed since the first phone.

And to finish off with the 365million IOS devices sold. Android activates 800k devices per day. That is unique device ID's, so hard reseting or flashing a ROM doesn't add to that number.

I think Ford was right to use a platform that will work with the most devices.

At the risk of a thread HiJack just thought I would drop a few facts as apposed to hearsay and opinion.

When Ford released MFT the marketing plan likely was to appeal to the largest demographic of technical users as apposed to the average techno peasant

That should have included Apple devices regardless if you love them or hate them.

365 million iOS devices sold and more than 80% of those customers are running iOS 5. Hear that, Android lovers?

Hang on, I have to have another glass of Apple Koolaid......mmmmm good!

Only 7% of customers are running the latest version of Android. That is what I'll never "get" about Android.

So why not integrate 100% with the most popular device/mobile OS?

iOS, along with Apple, are catering to the people that have no technical experience. Android is open source. If you want Apple to hold your hand and tell you what you can and cannot do with your device, be my guest. I on the other hand, want to be able to do whatever I like with my devices. That's why I have Android.

As for the Siri garbage, it's a novelty. My S3 has S Voice, it's the same thing. You know how much I use it? Not often.

The app store on Apple is another story, they do not allow most apps. You have to develop it Apples way, or no way. They also charge $100 a year to allow you to publish along with a 30% cut of your sales. Google play is a one time $25 fee and 30% (thank Apple's model for that).

Android users also have the option to download apps outside of the market.

In addition to all of this, Apple hardware is overpriced. Especially on the computer side. But you know what? They are still a PC. It's all Intel, nVidia and AMD inside. What people don't realize is that you can buy a PC for half the price, that's faster, and still run Mac OS.

If you buy a vehicle just because it has 'Siri', then you have issues.

Almost forgot - Siri works really well! :scratch:

ambulance.png

Thats your opinion and you're fully entitled to it.

Right or wrong, most of the world has another opinion.

Yes, Apple is the most controlling and proprietary but thats why it works.

Bottom line, no one lines up or camps overnight to purchase a new android or windows device. Thats why they all end up being sold at Costco eventually.

Thats your opinion and you're fully entitled to it.

Right or wrong, most of the world has another opinion.

Yes, Apple is the most controlling and proprietary but thats why it works.

Bottom line, no one lines up or camps overnight to purchase a new android or windows device. Thats why they all end up being sold at Costco eventually.

So the sheer stupidity of people camping overnight, when it can be ordered and shipped overnight, is a good thing?

My roommate works for Apple and thinks it's retarded.

Smart no, I would never camp out.

Just an indicator of consumer confidence in the product creating demand.

I gotta get in on this ONE :p

im a IT Tech, i do own apple laptops....

apple sells on one marketing model "hype" as long as its the cool thing to own they will sell no matter how poor a product is. I'm an actually apple tech and i will let the world know (and again i do own one) apple products are getting worse by the day. the build quality is just appalling and the prices don't reflect it.

for the sake of everyone i hope windows 8 is 1/2 what is supposed to be. and android continue to be the number one selling mobile platform world wide.

Other wise the whole world will be consumed by mindless zombies buying the next apple product. the only reason anyone will need 4x4 is to run over them when they all lay dead in a piles cos they can't think for them selves and starve to death (unless siri reminds them to eat and breath).

Good luck with Vista 8....oops I mean Windows 8.....

I wonder how much that Antivirus software will cost.

Will they release windows 8 without any drivers for all the peripherals again?

No thanks, I will keep drinking the KoolAid.

Good luck with Vista 8....oops I mean Windows 8.....
I wonder how much that Antivirus software will cost.

It's free :thumbsup: Soon you'll be glad it is too! BTW which "animal" will Apple choose next? Drama Llama? Lemming? Riiiight... The mighty Apple doesn't release new versions or updates for anything... Riiiight. :rolleyes: While we're at it, if it wasn't for Microsoft and the Intel platform, Apple would be far less relevant than they are today. August 6, 1997 I'm sure is a day you'd love to forget. :mattmoon: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/08/this_day_in_history_microsoft.php

Will they release windows 8 without any drivers for all the peripherals again?

:crazy:

No thanks, I will keep drinking the KoolAid.

Please do!
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/...virus-immunity-claims-after-infections-844651

things-that-siri-says-ambulance-fail.jpg

It's free :thumbsup: Soon you'll be glad it is too! BTW which "animal" will Apple choose next? Drama Llama? Lemming? Riiiight... The mighty Apple doesn't release new versions or updates for anything... Riiiight. :rolleyes: While we're at it, if it wasn't for Microsoft and the Intel platform, Apple would be far less relevant than they are today. August 6, 1997 I'm sure is a day you'd love to forget. :mattmoon: http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2009/08/this_day_in_history_microsoft.php

:crazy:

Please do!
http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/...virus-immunity-claims-after-infections-844651

things-that-siri-says-ambulance-fail.jpg

at least someone else knows the facts :)

I hope you call 911, and not an Ambulance.

In 1997 I hadn't had a taste of the KoolAid yet, I think I had a Motorola StarTac then.

Thats actually very interesting I had no idea about the Microsoft bailout of Apple.

We got a little off topic I just hope Ford develops the next upgrade to work with SIRI like the other manufacturers because it is something buyers think about when purchasing a new vehicle.

Especially since the other two North American car companies are developing SIRI integration.

I'll chime in on here. I find all this Apple bashing from Windows users and Android users extremely pathetic. I'm a tech guy so I go read different forums across the web and it's just so funny how there are so many Apple bashers out there.

I'll comment on what others have said. Of course Android is going to sell more phones overall because they cater to the cheap market as well. Look at all those cheap $5-10 phones at Target or Walmart that are running some version of Android. Apple doesn't sell to the pay as you go market. Every iPhone made has outsold the top selling Android, which in this case has been the Galaxy.

Too those that believe iOS is for people who aren't technically advanced is ridiculous. Android is not some far advanced OS. Apple's iOS is much more polished I believe.

To the person that said Apple steals ideas is ridiculous. Yes, Apple doesn't always develop there own products, they make current products and make them better. A great example is the iPod. Apple wasn't the first company that made an mp3 player. Others tried and failed. Apple didn't. Apple didn't develop the first tablet. Others tried and failed miserably. As for smartphones, everyone is ripping off Apple's ideas. Before the iPhone, there were Blackberries and flip phones. After Apple created the iPhone, every phone maker was coping their design.

As for the Siri and Samsung's S voice, Samsung clearly has ripped off Apple's Siri. The graphics on S voice look nearly identical to Siri. I despise companies like Samsung who blatantly rip off other companies, most notably Apple. Samsung continues to rip off Apple's design aesthetics and software UI.

nrfitchett4 - Google is well known for lying about their numbers. Activations a day are extremely close between iOS and Android. From the first quarter this year, and the last of 2011, Apple had better numbers. What that activations per day from Google doesn't tell you is it's not taking into account all those phones being returned and replacements that are getting activated. Those numbers are counted. Plus, if you base the numbers on Android sales figures and look at activations, it doesn't add up, so clearly those numbers are inflated.

SeaFoam - You comment about Apple catering to people with no technical experience is absurd. Apple caters to professionals. Take for example the movie industry. The majority of studios are using Apple computers. Do you think movie editors, sound engineers, ect have no technical experience? Movie studios are using Apple computers because they are good quality products that last and have great software for that type of industry you can't get on Windows. Many studio execs have said as well that they use Apple because their products are way more reliable then Windows PC's and that they don't want to trust billions of dollars on PC's that often crash and get viruses.

Yes, Android is open source but what's so better about that? That you can download any App out there? Apple's App store has just about every App you can think of, plus more. I prefer Apple not allowing Apps compared to Android when you have so many junk Apps out there that are malware or viruses. So Apple chargers more, big deal. Developers earn way more money on their iOS Apps versus their Andorid Apps.

Which Apps outside the Android market are so great? Most of them are just junk with viruses and malware. I won't argue the fact that Apple's hardware is overpriced when you customize a Mac. If you build a PC with the same specs as an iMac or a laptop comparable to a Macbook Pro, a PC isn't going to be much cheaper. I just did that on Dell and HP and it was hardly cheaper. No laptop has the quality of screen as the new Macbook Pros. Your half the price claim is ridiculous.

So bottom line, hate Apple all you want. Call us Apple users iSheep or whatever stupid names you have to make yourselves feel better. At the end of the day with business, what really matters is money. Apple is clearly leading in that category and is blowing the competition away.

We now return to our regular scheduled programming :)

Right on, Bolt.... Enough of the Apple Bashers. It's like bashing someone for listening to country music. To each his own..... But please know all of the facts before you bash. Have two iPhones, two iPads, an iTouch and soon an iMac. I was ALLL windows based until I got the first iPhone. Never looking back. Should be bashing windows users, but what good would it do? Most Apple Bashers have never owned one. A guy at work hammered me on Facebook when I posted Steve Jobs died and his picture and dates. Stated that iFolks were iDiots. 2 months later he was asking how we liked our iPads and now he has completely converted to Apple. That is what I call iRonic....

Choosing sides on Microsoft vs. Google vs. Apple is like picking sides in politics. Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal: each side lies, cheats, and steals. They always have, and always will. People pick sides based on their personal beliefs and how they can turn a blind eye to the transgressions of those they believe in (and whose sins are justifiable in their opinion), yet can call out those on the other side for committing the very same things. There is no end to the argument, and nothing is ever accomplished (much like in Washington :) ).

Neither Microsoft, Google nor Apple became so big and wealthy by creating rainbows and raising unicorns. They have all lied, cheated, and stolen their respective ways to where they are in the marketplace. If you like the crap they produce, go for it, but don't get pissy about the other side for what they buy, because guess what, you don't know all of the facts and you are wrong! That is just the way life is :)

Now, as was said before...back to the originally scheduled programming.

Any ideas on how phone voice integration would be retrofitted in current cars that lack a specific 'siri' type button. Ideas? Do you think it might be a longer press of the voice command button, a voice command to activate voice commands (lol), or some other way? It would seem that they would need to make it as simple as possible without having to resort to touching the screen to keep the process streamlined. Thoughts?

I think Nuance and Ford have a plan. I am not worried that there will not be a specific button for Siri on the steering wheel (purely marketing and that is it). I am sure someday you will be able to download MFT software for IOS or windows bases applications. Just a guess.

I think Nuance and Ford have a plan. Jam not worried that there will not be a specific button for Siri on the steering wheel (purely marketing and that is it). I am sure someday you will be able to download MFT software for IOS or windows bases applications. Just a guess.

Thats exactly what should have happened from the start. Two versions of MFT, one Windows based, one Mac based. Both tuned specifically for their respective devices.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Right on, Bolt.... Enough of the Apple Bashers. It's like bashing someone for listening to country music. To each his own..... But please know all of the facts before you bash. Have two iPhones, two iPads, an iTouch and soon an iMac. I was ALLL windows based until I got the first iPhone. Never looking back. Should be bashing windows users, but what good would it do? Most Apple Bashers have never owned one. A guy at work hammered me on Facebook when I posted Steve Jobs died and his picture and dates. Stated that iFolks were iDiots. 2 months later he was asking how we liked our iPads and now he has completely converted to Apple. That is what I call iRonic....

I made the switch to all Apple products about 4 years ago. I have an iPhone 4s, the new iPad, iMac, Mac Mini, Apple TV, and iPod. The new iMac should be announced within the next several months. The iMac refresh is late this year. It really drives me nuts how people always bash Apple at any chance they get. I don't care for Microsoft, but I'm not going around bashing them. I agree, most who bash Apple have never owned one of their products.

Back