ARB Compressor, whered you mount yours? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ARB Compressor, whered you mount yours?

hvac man

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Rifle, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport
I am haveing a hard time finding a spot under the hood of my 93 to mount the compressor for my lockers. Have any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't mount it in the front. If you can stand it, I would mount it in the open space behind the jack storage panel.... there is plenty there and it is out of the elements..... but if you must have it under the hood.... is there space under your battery? I am not familiar with the exact size of the compressor, but if I remember right, my '92 had space under there!

Heres what I did with mine. Just made a custom bracket off the A/C compressor. Easy and lots of space.

Attachments

• arbcompressor.jpg
    arbcompressor.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 634

Heres what I did with the switches.

Attachments

• arbswitches.jpg
    arbswitches.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 624

Thanks for the pic Derrick. Any creative places for the switches?

Beat ya to it.:D

sorry just got the pic if the switches

I guess I would have to put that manual shift t-case in that is sitting in my garage huh. :)

HVAC man there is a perfect spot uner your hood for the pump, all you have to do to mount it is remove the grill.

Right next to the radiator on the drivers side, on the radiator support there should be plenty of room.

ON my BII I had to re-locate the charcoal canister to put it there but it is a perfect spot.

I dont have a pic, sorry :)

Jamie I just sent you a PM

I was also thinking about putting it right behind the driver head light

Im thinking about an ARB rear locker for my truck, couple questions though. first off, does the air compressor need to run the entire time the axles are locked?, or only to engage the lock. Lastly how is the air delivered into the pumpkin, do you have to drill a hole...? Sorry for my ignorance

No the compressor comes on to lock the locker and thats it. Shuts off. Mine comes comes on about every 5-10 minutes to re-fill the airlines.

Yes, you have to drill and tap a hole on the top of the axle to run these lockers. I wish I had a pic for you but I don't. I'll get one some time.

Thnx for the info and the offer of the pic Derrick.

I should have mine instaled by wednesday, so I can take a pic and post one for you so you can see what it looks like.

Awesome- Id love some pics, im currently trying to decide If Im going to install my 4.88 Gears and my ARB air locker myslef, or if Im going to bite the bullet and have it installed.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Heres what I did with the switches.

Nice job Derrick. That looks really nice.

hvac man, do you have cruise control? My buddy has a sport and he mounted his right where the cruise control goes.

Originally posted by Derrick C.
Heres what I did with mine. Just made a custom bracket off the A/C compressor. Easy and lots of space.

Dude, you ever wash that thing? Slacker!...

NOTAJP: I have cruise control but it is in the steering wheel. I dont know how you could get it in there without loosing your cruise. It could also potentialy get damaged or something. I am now thinking of building a custom mounting plate out of aluminum to hold all 3 switches in the center console, where the spare change goes. (I don't have any, anyway) :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I actually meant the vacuum canister under the hood that controls the throttle for the cruise control as a place to mount the compressor.

Back