Are both my front wheel bearings bad? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are both my front wheel bearings bad?

coghij1

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4WD V8 4.6
Hi all,

I've recently come across a loud humming noise when driving freeway speeds and making a left hand turn. I immediately thought bad FR wheel bearing even though I replaced that one not too long ago. Once home I lifted the front end and checked for play in the hubs. Movement from the top to bottom of the tire was non-existent while moving left to right showed quite a bit of play/wobble. I found this to be the case for both front wheels. I'm wondering why both sides have this extra play in them yet I only get noise during high speed and right side loading? I was curious if there could be something else wrong instead like the steering linkage?

I can link a video of me giving the wheel a shake when I get home later today. Right now I just have my phone. Any help is greatly appreciated!

No ideas anyone?

They both could be bad.. get the front in the air and put some torque on the wheel, with one hand on the upper corner of the tire and the other on the lower opposite corner and then wiggle.. that will tell you if you have wheel bearing slop. Other wise you could have ball joints maybe going out.

That's what I did before and both would only wiggle left to right (holding at 9 ands 3). I've also noticed occasionally when I back out of the driveway, a loud click or snap when I start to turn the steering wheel.

Back