Audio experts, help me choose equipment!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Audio experts, help me choose equipment!!!

OGWhiteRob216

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
i need help picking out equipment, someone should look out and give me there email address, i know nothing about car audio! heres some options i have, should i get any of this stuff???? is the amp good for the highs/mids?

JL AUDIO 300/4 AMP
2 ALPINE TYPE R's SWR-1222D
2 Memphis 6x9 SPEAKERS
4 TS-G1647 PIONEER 6.5's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great amp and great subs. i have no experience with either sets of those speakers so i cant tell you anything about them. the jl amp actually puts out the power it says it does, and it is clean power. the alpine subs hit hard and tight. they wont be earth rattling, but they will give you a pretty good boom.

Thanks DMAC, im learning... im thinking about getting component speakers for the doors "if this is the best option", can you help me with these??? would the JL amp be good for components? i dont know much about component speakers, could/should i also add 4 regular 3 way 6x9's to rear along with the subs? and are componet speakers for 4 doors???? or can i install in just front? i want clear loud sound over a ton of bass!!!!! help me out!!!!

I'm extremely familiar with all of those, and from personal experience go with the Memphis 6x9's. Use them all the way around for the doors that's what I'm using, sound is amazing. Great choice on subs and amp by the way, the subs are clear and sound amazing for heavy bass techno to heavy metal to anything soft. but for speaker you will want a little bigger amp, if you can afford it go with a 600 watt alpine or kenwood that way you are guaranteed not to short out you amp. Let me know what you think of my advice.

First off what are you trying to achieve with your new audio setup??

How much are you wanting to spend??

What kind of music do you listen to??

Have you looked into sound dampening??

90% of the sound is in the install. My 6x8 kenwood coaxials sound better than my friends JL Audio 6.5" TR components.

thanks very much,

1. I want a system with grade A highs and mids, loud and crystal clear, with no distortion when its cranked up,) A set of cheap subs is enough bass to make me happy, so my focus is the other speakers. with 2 amps and the cd player i have 12 channels available....

2. dont know how much i want to spend, depends on my options.

3. I listen to mostly hip hop

4. I never heard of dampening, i heard of bass blockers, I just discovered components, and havent quite figured out what 2 way, 3 way, ect is, and I dont know what i want in my truck I got no clue... I have 5: american bass, 6.5 pionners, 2 sony 3way 6x9's and 2 jbl 3 way 6x9's as of now, and i can get memphis 6x9's for $40. I don't have a clue of what to get.

Well if you want clear and dynamic mids and highs I would start with quality dampening like Second Skin, Cascade, Dynamat Extreme, or if you want a cheaper alternative either eDead or Raamatt. With the cheaper alternative double layering would be necessary.

Well the 6x9's won't fit without customization. I wouldn't look at 3 way components. A nice set of 2 ways components will be perfect.

Ford uses 6x8 speakers not 6x9's so don't look at those sizes. I would get a nice 6.5" component set and make some custom baffles for them.

where are you gettin 12 channels from??? There is no need for 12 channels...Also if you are including the 4 channels from the head unit than that is a no no. HU's put out about 16-18 watts rms...A nice amplifier for the components is your best bet.

As for the substage...I have an enclosure design for a single 12 inch Type R that should fill your needs.

so what kind of speakers should i buy, im sure i can find a deal on ebay or somthing? would it be bad to add 4 3 way 6x9's hooked to a amp, too a system with 4 6.5 components???? wouldn't it be louder???????? any advice on choosing good components 6.5's?

Start with a solid head unit, but don't use the deck's power if you have amps.

Dynamat Extreme (and similar products) work wonders. Don't be shy with the stuff.

The 300/4 is an awesome amp and will be great for four speakers. You can go with 5x7/6x8 (same thing) coaxials in all four doors, or consider going with components up front. You can get components that allow you to mount the tweet coaxially (on the woofer) and that will make installation a breeze. You can also get 6.5 components with prefabbed mounting adapters included so they will drop right in.

Type Rs are great subs. You need a sub amp. You can push those with as little as 300 watts each, although they have been known to handle MUCH more. Assuming you have plenty of room, a ported box will give you more output than sealed, but a good ported box made for your subs is typically going to be pricier than sealed and take up more room.

With the amount of questions you have, your best bet will be to find someone knowledgeable who can help you install it (in person) or just take it to a reputable shop in your area. Learn as much as you can, but don't try to do this yourself the first time.

Forget about extra channels or extra speakers. They aren't going to improve your sound, and where would you put them anyway?

Good luck!

More is not better...a set of nice 6.5" components up front will get plenty loud. Adding 6x9's will make the system sound like ass

any recommendation's on some good 6.5's components, i want it to sceam????? i have a guy who hooks it up, but cant help with picking out equipment to buy. I dont understand why adding more (good) 6x9's or 6.5" speakers to cargo area on a 3rd amp, wouldnt make it louder/better? i have 3 amp hook ups on the cdplayer, so i want to use a 3rd amp if possible. I have some decent pioneer 6.5's in the rear doors, should I just buy 2 new componet 6.5's for the front??
or should i do all 4 doors? please keep helping, I wanna buy some new stuff! asap!!!! how can a car with 4 good speakers sound better than a car with 8 good speakers??? i dont understand!

any recommendation's on some good 6.5's components, i want it to sceam????? i have a guy who hooks it up, but cant help with picking out equipment to buy. I dont understand why adding more (good) 6x9's or 6.5" speakers to cargo area on a 3rd amp, wouldnt make it louder/better? i have 3 amp hook ups on the cdplayer, so i want to use a 3rd amp if possible. I have some decent pioneer 6.5's in the rear doors, should I just buy 2 new componet 6.5's for the front??
or should i do all 4 doors? please keep helping, I wanna buy some new stuff! asap!!!! how can a car with 4 good speakers sound better than a car with 8 good speakers??? i dont understand!

More sound coming from behind you is a bad thing. It would probably be louder, yes, but you really want to hear things coming from in front of you. That's simplifying it, because when you really get into SQ people start tweaking all kinds of stuff to get it just perfect. Ultimately, you want it to be like you're on front row at a concert, facing the band. Don't waste time/money/energy on adding a bunch of crap that will pull the stage towards the rear of the vehicle. That time/money/energy would be better spent on getting even better components up front. You can get plenty loud and sound better doing it that way. Some people are against having any speakers in the rear at all (even in the back doors), but I like rear fill in a 4-door SUV like the Explorer, and I frequently have passengers back there, so I do run rear speakers. I also use 5.1 for movies and the rear speakers are necessary for that, but that's beside the point of this thread. It also does add volume when I crank it, but I have less than half the power going to those speakers, and I've eqd the higher frequencies down a bit in the rear which would otherwise pull the stage back. On top of that, when you start throwing in a bunch of drivers to play the same frequencies you can have cancellation issues and phase and timing issues and all sorts of stuff. Stereo is 2 channels. All of the music on your CDs and radio and whatever else are going to be recorded in stereo (right and left channels) and meant to be played back that way.

Bottom line is, spend the extra cash on a better set of front speakers. You mentioned that you have 3 sets of outputs on the head unit, and that matches up perfectly with your 4-channel JL amp and whatever sub amp you go with.

thats what i wanted to hear, that may be the most helpfull detailed and straight forward advice i've ever gotten!!!! 4- 6.5" components it is! But you said it works out perfect with the 3 outputs on cd player, wouldn't I only use 2 of the 3.... 1 sub amp and the 1 JL amp???? sonicelectronics.com has the best prices on components that ive seen. out of there selection can you recommend 2 pairs?
they have a lot of them cheaper than them type R's i posted, so if i can save money and not sacrifce sound please let me know!

thats what i wanted to hear, that may be the most helpfull detailed and straight forward advice i've ever gotten!!!! 4- 6.5" components it is! But you said it works out perfect with the 3 outputs on cd player, wouldn't I only use 2 of the 3.... 1 sub amp and the 1 JL amp???? sonicelectronics.com has the best prices on components that ive seen. out of there selection can you recommend 2 pairs?
they have a lot of them cheaper than them type R's i posted, so if i can save money and not sacrifce sound please let me know!

The 3 outputs on your deck are for front, rear, and sub. You will use the front AND rear outputs running to your 4-channel JL amp. Two channels (right and left) for front, and two channels for rear. This is the simplest and most straightforward way to wire it up, and you'll keep your ability to fade front/rear. If you send the same wattage to all 4 speakers, I'd fade a few notches to the front. You could also keep the gains lower on the rear outputs, but I prefer to evenly match the gains to the input voltage (set them with a multimeter) and then adjust at the head unit. You definitely want more sound from the front, and when it sounds like the sound is coming from in front of you, that's better for quality. You can play with it to see for yourself. You may like it better when the rears have an equal presence, but keep in mind that (in most Explorers) the rear speakers will actually be closer to your ears, so imho, fading (or a big differential in power from front/rear) is going to be a good tool to bring your soundstage forward.

On that note, if you can save a few bucks on your rears, there is no need to go with components back there. Installation for a lot of components is a concern when you have to find a mounting spot for the tweets, and you don't want your tweets in the rear to be prominent anyway. Higher frequencies are much more likely to pull your soundstage that direction, and from the rear, that's not what you want. In other words, just go with an inexpensive set of coaxials back there. Spend the extra cash on your components up front.

As for the stuff you're looking at, I don't have first hand experience with all of them. I recently put 2 sets of 3-way Alpine Type S 6x9s in the ol' lady's ride to replace her crappy factory speakers. I wasn't expecting much. I slapped a 300/4 on them and they really surprised me with how good they sound. On a budget, I'd think the Alpine Type Rs would be decent speakers, too. The stuff I put in my own ride is well beyond that budget/quality level, so the only heartfelt advice I want to give you, if you really want to sound good and get loud, is to open up your wallet and get the best front components you can afford. To be specific, I recommend Boston Pro 60s, but you'd want more power up front. You could always bridge your 300/4 to 150/2 and just run the rears off the deck. But now we're going down a different path. Do you want to sound "decent", or do you want your stuff to really kick a$$?

I currently run JL XR 5x7 coaxials in the rear, and once upon a time ran them up front. They sound pretty good, and without a doubt better (louder, cleaner) than the stuff you're looking at. On a really tight budget, the JL TRs get loud and sound decent too. A lot of well-known companies are making affordable entry-level speakers now, like MB Quart, JL, Boston, etc. Until you get above $500, any extra money you spend on components will usually yield a reward in better sound quality. Once you surpass that level, you really have to start spending some serious coin to get a substantial audible increase in sound quality.

Let me add here that proper installation and the liberal use of sound-deadening material can really affect the sound quality of whatever you go with. It can make "okay" speakers sound great, and great speakers sound amazing. Without it, you are handicapping anything you put in there. Use this stuff to get the most from your equipment. Again, this is another potentially substantial investment, but it's worthwhile. You have to pay to play.

No matter what anyone tells you, to really get great SQ and also get loud, you need to pony up. You can get as insane with it as you could imagine, so in the end, it's really just based around your budget. You may get something totally satisfying without breaking the bank, but then you'll hear something that sounds leaps and bounds better that's on a whole different budget level. For what you're looking to do, all I can keep stressing is that it's okay to go cheap on your rear door speakers so you can turn around and dump as much as you can into the fronts. Stay with reputable brands, and the extra money (in your spending range) will be money well spent, and therefore really will be "worth it".

LOL. After typing all of this, I hope it helps (sinks in).

I've heard some 6.5" Type S components fg'd in the a-pillars. SOOO loud and clean...seriously could listen to it all day...best system I ever heard...it was an Alpine's Rep vehicle...sounded soo good.

There are plenty of component sets out there....give a price range

Experts only?? How about those of us with multiple vehicles, and 6x9s, 6x8s, 6.5s, tweeters w/crsovrs, 8" subs, 10" subs/mixed sub combos... Memphis, got 2 8" subs sitting next to a couple of 10" (other brand) subs; and Pioneer 6x9s in the passenger doors.

I can use my 03 for any (ANY) type of music, and it sounds like the system was made for that music (JVC h/u) I found the eq for the Pioneer h/u... nice! (and the burning thing won't happen again :) Who knew?? Anyways, I'm not an expert, but my sounds ain't to shabby.

JLUV, God bless you! I Think i'll get 2 type R's to match the subs, not sure what i'll do for the rear though... hopefully they're way better than the type S 6.5's!

When you do the dampening, do you just do the 4 doors????

Should I get a 32hz or 34hz ported box for the type R subs?
the guys selling them to me in a sealed box, but i found 2 special boxs for the type R's

http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-ALPINE-...hZ023QQcategoryZ50566QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-ALPINE-...hZ007QQcategoryZ50566QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

any recommendations on some rear speakers from sonicelectronix.com? I wont put another pair of type R 6.5's in rear if it's gonna be overkill, I have some older pioneer 6.5's in rear now, but I'll upgrade them if i can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you do the dampening, do you just do the 4 doors????

Again, it's all about what you can afford. I've got over 200 sq ft of Dynamat Xtreme in my Explorer. I gutted the interior and covered every inch, including the floor, roof, doors, hatch, the backsides of the plastic door panels, hatch panels, etc. Start out focusing on the front doors. The good thing is that you can always add more later.

Should I get a 32hz or 34hz ported box for the type R subs?

It's up to you. Those would be about the same. I'd probably go with 32.

any recommendations on some rear speakers from sonicelectronix.com? I wont put another pair of type R 6.5's in rear if it's gonna be overkill, I have some older pioneer 6.5's in rear now, but I'll upgrade them if i can.

If the Pioneers in the rear aren't blown and don't sound like total garbage, leave them alone and spend the extra cash on the front speakers and/or sound deadening.

Back