Aussie locker gear spec issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aussie locker gear spec issue

nssj2

Reaction score
So i'm dropping my 1yr old aussie locker into my freshly rebuild f150 8.8. When I originally installed it in the mountaineer, I didn't have any of the tolerance issues people have mentioned on here. However in the new axle, I have a problem. The measurement between the new gears (with the spacer on them) and the crosspin should be .006-.020. Mine is .045. Has anyone else had this problem? Is my carrier shot? Is my notched center pin for 4.56 gears somehow thinner than the factory? Your help is all that awaits my truck from being fully mobile for the first time in months. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well that brings me to another question. The first axle was an open carrier, the second (new) one is an LSD. The website shows the same part number, so I assume the kit is the same. As far as the thrust washer go, the LSD doesn't really have thrust washers.... does it?

Well there you go, sir. Can't put an Aussie locker in a limited slip carrier...it's not going to end well.

Powertrax makes a lunchbox that will fit in that carrier though...can't remember if it's a lock rite or a no-slip...but they make one.

So I'd sell the Aussie and go for a powertrax.

son of a..... that marks the first time i've received mis-information from this forum :(. although why would aussie provide installation instruction for a lsd carrier? That's pretty unfortunate as if i would have known that, I would have gone with a 9" rear. oh well, live and learn. Thanks man.

son of a..... that marks the first time i've received mis-information from this forum :(. although why would aussie provide installation instruction for a lsd carrier? That's pretty unfortunate as if i would have known that, I would have gone with a 9" rear. oh well, live and learn. Thanks man.

No problem...hopefully somebody else can get the good info from this thread. Not sure what's up with the LSD instructions that you were talking about...because I got the below info off the FAQ Page of Aussie's site...I am understanding that it applies to all models of their locker:

"What if I have a limited slip or posi diff now?

You will need to replace the limited slip or posi carrier with an open carrier. Open carriers are available at auto salvage yards, on bulletin boards and at aftermarket diff parts retailers."

There's a section for trac-lock differentials in my hard copy manual. Anyways, since you know you stuff, will installing a new open carrier or detroit locker force me to reset my pinion depth?

There's a section for trac-lock differentials in my hard copy manual. Anyways, since you know you stuff, will installing a new open carrier or detroit locker force me to reset my pinion depth?

I would think so...that's why I recommended the No-slip....it would save you money in the long run. But....there could very well be some trick I don't know about so I'd ask whoever set up your gears.

will installing a new open carrier or detroit locker force me to reset my pinion depth?

No, you only need to check your backlash (Ring gear lateral) The pic is a D35 front but the same goes for the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_2902-1.jpg
    IMG_2902-1.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 195

Back