8.8 Aussie locker out of spec, thrust washers | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

8.8 Aussie locker out of spec, thrust washers

It seems like an 8.8 issue from what i've read. If you're doing a gearswap, go with a full carrier replacement like a detroit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems to be an 8.8 issue only, never heard of issues with any other axles.

I tried to find thinner premade thrust washers like Fusion did to his. Couldn't find them anywhere. I wasn't about to take mine to a machine shop.

I personally can't fault Aussie's service since I didn't even try to contact them after the initial install because I knew any warranty claim would be denied due to abuse :rolleyes: because of the chipped teeth. I wonder if they would still go above and beyond like they did for Fusion.

I'm sure it is an 8.8 issue. I don't think there is anything wrong with Aussie's product and it looks like it's well built & designed. My concern is about their "warranty". You're going to spend over $300 for this locker. Only after you paid and receive your locker will you be able to tell that your 8.8 axle happens to fall in the outer limits of normal specs (by taking Aussie's measurements). Now what? Aussie first denied any compensation, then I argued, then they replaced my locker. I just trashed the old locker because my axle wasn't up to spec, why would they replace it? I had both tight measurements like the rest of you, and apparantly a too soft cross shaft. I'm going to give it another try with Powertrax' harder cross shaft. What happens if it still doesn't work because my tolerances are too tight? Skinnier shims don't exist. Aussie actually mentioned that one of my options were to get my axle machined. Uh ..... we're talking about a lunchbox locker, right? I'm just saying, be careful, get a promise from them that if you drop $300 and your specs don't cut it, you get a refund - Aussie shouldn't make you eat that.

I reinstalled my warranty replaced Aussie. I bought new thrust washers from the dealer. The part number is home if anyone needs it. The new washers were thicker than my used ones prob because of wear. The cross pin would not fit with the new ones and i got the bare minimum stats with the old (.006 & .145). I used the Powertrax cross shaft. The locker works like a charm and made a few feet of snow feel like a dry racetrack. It's hard to believe but i guess it was all about the harder crossshaft, so def spend the extra $20 something for it. I also used Lucas 75W-140 full synthetic which pours like molassis.

I just tried to install my new Aussie in my 8.8... WAY to tight. I don't know what to do know. I had to tap my cross shaft in.., really easy taps... but still... Then it was pretty much no gap b/w the spacers and the cross-shaft.

The spacing b/w the cam gears is 0.130... well short of the 0.145 minimum.

I just sent an email to Aussie, and 5 min later I got another one back saying they texted a technician and told him to call me. I guess I'll see how this goes. These specs are really out of wack.

I'm pretty pissed. I need my rig back on the road.

Back