Aussie Locker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aussie Locker

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

search "axle codes" in the search...

any more information on the aussie locker....i was looking for an inexpensive locker as well

Time to get the locker (when tax return get here). Anyone help me on what rear end I have on my 05 ST?
8.8 rear end. But you need to find out if you have an Open rear end or a Limited Slip rear end. Get the the axle code off the driver's side door sticker and then do a search here on axle codes to know if you have an Open or Limited Slip rear end.

any more information on the aussie locker....i was looking for an inexpensive locker as well
Like what kind of info? As far as I know, it's a knock off of the Powertrax LockRight. So is the Detroit EZ Locker.

These are what you call lunchbox lockers. They replace the spider gears inside the carrier of the differential. They lock up based on torque applied to the differential.

That's why you need to know if you have an Open or Limited Slip axle. Because the carrier is different between the Open and Limited Slip axles.

BTW, the Aussie locker only works with an Open carrier.

If you have a Limited Slip rear end, then you will need the Powertrax NoSlip locker.

Ok here you go you lazy search bums! :D

Axles Codes

Explorer
Door Code
41..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.27
42..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 4.10
43..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.08
44..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
45..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.55
46..... Open 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
D1..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.27
D2..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 4.10
D4..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
D5..... L/S 8.8"..... 3200..... 3.73
L73 ..... L/S ?.?"..... ????..... 3.73

Sorry to jack the thread,
I just wanted reviews/experiences more than anything. I have an open diff so I know that isn't a problem

I had front and rear aussie lockers in my 05 Sport Trac. The rear axle is a 31 spline 8.8. Install was pretty easy and straight forward, except the tolerances are VERY tight. I had to install mine without the thrust washers and ruined it because of that. Aussie sent me a replacement, and I literally had to use a hammer to get the center pin in, it was so tight. It worked perfect though for over a year when I traded it in. Aussie said a little on the tight side is okay but too loose is bad. (true in many cases, eh?)
If I had another Ranger, Explorer, or Sport Trac with an open rear end I would get another aussie. Behavior on the road is good, the locker is very smooth, and the only noise was a quiet "click click click" when coasting around a tight corner. With a manual transmission it's not as smooth since you are removing torque between shifts (unlocking the diff, and re-locking when you accelerate).
With a locked rear end, it is much easier to "fishtail" under hard acceleration (good or bad for some people). The extra traction is awsome, it is night and day compared to driving with the open diff. I could go places in 2wd that were difficult in 4x4 with an open diff.
The rear tires will wear a bit more if you are driving aggressive, but mine were doing okay, I just made sure to rotate them every oil change. The locker worked as it should while turning, easily moved around tight spaces and parking lots. I loved how it worked in the snow.

The front locker was a little different, but great. Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of chance to use it, but when I did it was awsome. If definitely liked to go straight though when you're on the gas. I probably wouldn't install an auto-locker in the front diff again unless it was mostly a trail rig though. I mean it worked great, but maybe not worth the added stress on the drivetrain unless you used it a lot in difficult spots. Makes me wish I would have had more time to wheel the sport trac when I had it...

Just what I was looking for. Thank you

Back