Auto Climate Control - Only Front Vents or Mix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Climate Control - Only Front Vents or Mix

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
My 03 Limited has an issue that I think it somehow related to the blend door actuator. I can only get the system to push out air in 2 locations. I have pressed every button, turned the system on/off, etc.

1.) Floor and defrost (Combination)
2.) Vents on the dash (the ones you usually would use with the AC)

It doesn't matter if I have it on Auto, Defrost -> all come out Floor/Defrost. Its too cold for the dash vents to be used, so it won't automatically come out. I just want the button I press (ie. Defrost) to work.

I can't use just the defrost, or just the floor. I can only use the dash vents or floor/defrost.

The floor/defrost doesn't have alot of "gusto" either - the airfloor seems weak, but it is shared.

The rear system works fine, believe me, I have to use it to sometimes get warm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several of us have experienced a failed damper arm failure for the defrost plenum. It requires the entire instrument panel to be removed to replaced. I think the part is around $180. Several peole have replaced this themselves but it take patience and some bravery.

So it keeps the the "Lower/Defrost" on or "Front Vent" Only? Those are the only 2 options I can use. When I switch modes, I don't hear any noise at all.

That's the same issue I had. Very light on the defrost, mostly vent and floor. Before the dash gets pulled we need to confirm that the arm is truly broken. Remove the radio bezel and trace the yellow vacuum line running just below the radio towards the driver side. That is where you will find the actuator. With the HVAC controls connected, start the vehicle and switch between defrost and floor. See if the actuator and extends and retracts along with the linkage arm. Mine was but the arm is broken inside the plenum preventing the damper from moving internally.

Thanks. I will have to wait until warmer weather to pull the radio. Just to clarify, could you use either Floor/Defrost OR Vent ? Not at the same time, but seperately......
I read these posts, and some others, and upon quick glance, I didnt see if individuals just had Floor/Defrost and Front Vent or just Floor/Defrost "Mix". I didnt know if you had all three at the same time.

Back