• Register Today It's free!

"Auto" Climate Mode w/MFT

OzzieMike

Reaction score
City, State
Broken Arrow, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
When in Auto mode, is the climate control supposed to engage the air conditioning if the inside temp rises?

Just curious about this, as I've noticed in my 2013 XLT w/MFT that, unless I specifically turn on the A/C via the center stack control (or MFT) the A/C doesn't come on if the inside temp gets too warm.

I've also noticed that I can't recall ever hearing the climate control fan in any kind of high speed mode when in Auto mode. Every other car I've had (including our 2010 Taurus and the 2007 F-150 I traded for this EX) kicks on the fan in high speed once the car has warmed up.

Perhaps it hasn't been cold enough to notice it yet, or the fan in this vehicle is super quiet?

When in Auto mode, is the climate control supposed to engage the air conditioning if the inside temp rises?

Just curious about this, as I've noticed in my 2013 XLT w/MFT that, unless I specifically turn on the A/C via the center stack control (or MFT) the A/C doesn't come on if the inside temp gets too warm.

I've also noticed that I can't recall ever hearing the climate control fan in any kind of high speed mode when in Auto mode. Every other car I've had (including our 2010 Taurus and the 2007 F-150 I traded for this EX) kicks on the fan in high speed once the car has warmed up.

Perhaps it hasn't been cold enough to notice it yet, or the fan in this vehicle is super quiet?
Do you also have the Climate button ON? If I recall with both Auto and Climate set to ON that the A/C will come on when needed.
As for the fan speed for heat, I believe mine does speed up when the engine warms up. It is a very quiet fan.

Peter

I tested this just the other day. If the inside air temperature in the cabin exceeds the temperature set in the climate control, the AC will turn on. Same, of course, goes for the heat in the car if you utilize the remote start and the temperature is below a certain target.

Well, since today it's 25 degrees outside, I did hear the fan kick on, so I guess it's working. I probably won't be able to test anything with the A/C until after winter's over, but I do recall the A/C didn't kick on this summer unless I hit the A/C button on the center stack. I have verified that both Auto and Climate are "On" on the MFT Climate display.

Back