Auto>Manual Swap. OSS 24-hole>VSS 12-hole. Speed Limit Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto>Manual Swap. OSS 24-hole>VSS 12-hole. Speed Limit Issue

engineeering

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer xlt 4x4
I have performed a swap from a 5R55W Auto Transmission (Stock 2006 Ford Explorer Auto) to a M05D-R1HD Manual (From Ford Ranger).

The new manual transmission has a VSS in the tail housing has 12-holes. The stock OSS from my auto had 24-holes. I've adjusted the "number of holes in OSS" in my SCT tune from 24 to 12 and all is good on the speedo (also had to adjust axle ratio and tire size as those were changed too).

My Problem:
I hit a hard throttle cut at 75 mph (can vary a bit depending on load from 72-78... might be significant if it is an auto shifting function that is causing this).
I've logged this on LiveLink and it is definitely a Throttle Cut... it closes right down to an idle rpm than opens functionality again about 1 second later once speed has decreased by a few mph.

Other info:
I have tried the following things to eliminate the cause.
1) Confirmed that Speed Limit was set to maximum (255mph). I've tried using the handheld as well to change this but nothing works.
2) Turned off Traction Control and tried that... no change so it is not AdvanceTrac.
3) Turned off Dashpot (by setting it to not come on till 255mph) and no change. (is there a better way to turn off Dashpot to be sure it is not causing this?)
4) I was monitoring my "cruising fuel shutoff" and noticed that the speed ("V") at which it was "turning on" injectors again was less than half of what was set in the SCT tune. This got me to thinking that SCT functions are calculating a "V" (vehicle velocity) that is much lower than actual vehicle velocity even though my speedometer is correct. This got me to thinking that the cause of the pre-mature speed limiter is due to an incorrect calculation of "V" (vehicle speed).

Note also, my processor code is not supported by SCT to swap to a manual. If I use the SCT software to set it to a manual transmission via "system switches", I loose the 4X4 transfer case motor functionality (it needs to know what gear it's in as it checks for P or N). I had to wire/solder a work-around to trick it to believe it is in gear with a push button to mimic neutral when I require the shift motor). I think it is set to be in "4" or "N" but I will need to confirm. I don't think this makes a difference but I thought I should include it here as I believe there is a small chance that the Throttle Cut may be from an auto transmission shifting function or something....

My best guess right now... :
I think this is an OSS to VSS issue causing incorrect calculation of "V" (vehicle speed) even though my speedo is now correct. Since many of the processes require a setpoint for "V" or a funciton of it like "N/V" (rpm/velocity), some things are engaging pre-maturely at a lower speed (like the Speed Limiter and Cruising Shutoff Functions).

Any suggestions? Any way to determine if this might still be an Auto Trans function causing this?

Thanks!

Edit:
I'm also wondering if I can try putting a 24-hole sensor (similar to the original auto sensor) in the new manual transmission tail housing. Is this possible? Or is the number of holes on the actual shaft of the transmission? (and not in the sensor). Are there any ways to change the signal from the sensor rather than trying to do a tune-work around? If so, this would quickly determine if the OSS to VSS swap is causing the issue. Thanks!

PS:
I have now paid/hired 2 very well known SCT tuners and had SCT support provide advise as well as add customization to their software to support this project. So far nobody has been able to figure this out. I have got much farther by simply purchasing the SCT software myself and work through the issues. So I am currently stuck with a very nice supercharged 5-speed manual truck that can very QUICKLY go to only 75mph. LOL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I would be in your debt if you can help me solve this.

Back