• Register Today It's free!

Auto-Rx Increased My Fuel Mileage

85Dave

Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
First, let me say I have no connection, financial or otherwise, with Auto-Rx.

I decided to use Auto-Rx after reading about it on the BOBISTHEOILGUY website. It is a slow acting engine cleaner that claims to improve mileage and help stop leaks. My rear main seal has been leaking for some time now, so I decided to try Auto-Rx to stop the leak. Since I have over 100,000 miles, they recommend using 2 treatments. I wasn't looking for a fuel mileage increase, but if it happens, I'll be happy.

The first treatment consists of pouring 12 ounces into the crankcase and driving for 1500 miles. Drain and refill, with new filter and drive for 2000 miles. Drain, refill, new filter, add 12 more ounces. Drive for 1000 miles. Then drain, refill, new filter, and drive for 2000-3000 miles. Leak should be stopped. I won't go into all the details, but you can find them on the Auto-Rx website.

As of today, I've completed the initial 1500 miles "cleaning phase". I changed the oil Saturday for the initial "rinse phase". I've had a pan under the truck during the cleaning phase, and I drained 200 ml of oil out of it. I'll keep track to see if the leak improves.

But the good news is that I checked the fuel mileage. I've got a record of every drop of gas ever put into the Explorer since November of 1991 when I bought it new. It currently has over 169,000 miles. I averaged the previous 12 tanks of gas (about 3000 miles) and got 14.7 mpg. In the 1500 miles since I added the Auto-Rx, the average is 16.4 mpg. Is this a fluke? I don't know, but I'll keep checking the fuel mileage and report back. This is all city driving. Mainly short trips. Thats about $2.00 of gas a week I'm now saving.

Auto-Rx is not cheap. It cost me about $22 per bottle, but I'll recoup my money on the first bottle after 11 weeks. Not a bad pay back.

I'll update this post as more information becomes available. I'm just now into the first rinse phase. Still a long ways to go.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for your valuable time and knowledge Dave I for one appreciate your sharing of this info...it doesn't go un noticed...and I will be checking back in with you regularly to see how things are....was the oil extremely gooey and tar like after the first phase from cleaning all the varnish of the internals???

I used it on my 1993 X. I never noticed a gain in gas mileage, but the engine seems to start easier and after the initial cleaning phase of 1500 miles, the oil that came out was darker than any oil I had ever seen before, which made me believe that it worked.

I also wasn't interested in fuel mileage gains. What I was interested in was cleaning out my engine and hoping to make it last as long as possible.

I give it two thumbs up. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nascar_intimid said:
thanks for your valuable time and knowledge Dave I for one appreciate your sharing of this info...it doesn't go un noticed...and I will be checking back in with you regularly to see how things are....was the oil extremely gooey and tar like after the first phase from cleaning all the varnish of the internals???
No, the oil was dark, but not black. This is typical. The rinse phase tends to remove more of the sludge than the cleaning phase. I saved the oil filter and will dissect it one day. But others have reported that the cleaning phase is where the gains are realized.

If you use a good synthetic oil like Mobil-1 this would not be necessarry.

smiley1 said:
If you use a good synthetic oil like Mobil-1 this would not be necessarry.
This is not true. It is combustion by-products that cause carbon to build up in the ring pack area. These by-products prevent the rings from fully sealing, which leads to loss of power and fuel mileage, and increased oil usage. Read the Auto-Rx website for more info. The product slowly emulsifies the carbon allowing the rings to do their job properly.

If you use gasoline in your Explorer, you will have combustion by-products in the combustion chamber. This has nothing to do with the type of oil you use.

FYI, I used Mobil 1 exclusively for the first 100,000 miles. After that, I used Pennzoil or Valvoline. I am a Chemical Engineer, and I'm not easily convinced to part with my hard earned money. But there are so many positive reports on this product, that I took the chance. I'm glad I did. Check out the oil guy website for other unbiased opinions. That what convinced me. This is the real deal.

This is not true. It is combustion by-products that cause carbon to build up in the ring pack area. These by-products prevent the rings from fully sealing, which leads to loss of power and fuel mileage, and increased oil usage. Read the Auto-Rx website for more info. The product slowly emulsifies the carbon allowing the rings to do their job properly.

I usually dont go by a manufacturer's website for objective information. I respect Bobistheoilguy's website and I frequent it often. I will have to look into this.

If you use gasoline in your Explorer, you will have combustion by-products in the combustion chamber. This has nothing to do with the type of oil you use.

This is where seafoam comes in.

FYI, I used Mobil 1 exclusively for the first 100,000 miles. After that, I used Pennzoil or Valvoline. I am a Chemical Engineer, and I'm not easily convinced to part with my hard earned money. But there are so many positive reports on this product, that I took the chance. I'm glad I did. Check out the oil guy website for other unbiased opinions. That what convinced me. This is the real deal.

One could argue that this is why you were having a problem. :p

Mobil-1 has a large amount of detergents that break up carbon more readily than others. You use an inferior oil with a compromised addative package then one can say "the is your problem."

I may be wrong, but I am skeptical as you can see. I have seen many engine rebuilds and cant remember seeing any carbon problems in the ring areas.

With all due respect, you may be a chemical engineer, but unless you specify what field its quite useless to mention. For all we know you may work for Krayola developing new washable marking solutions. What specific knowlege do you have that relates in this situation?

-Runs over to bob's site-

85Dave said:

FYI, I used Mobil 1 exclusively for the first 100,000 miles. After that, I used Pennzoil or Valvoline.

This would show up in compression tests. All motors do not have issues in this regard.

Please explain how a product added to the oil will do anything for "problems" in the combustion chamber.

Why did you switch form synthetic oil to dino oil?

The purpose of this thread was to post my real world experience with a product that others may benefit from. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical. I was also skeptical for many months before I decided to try it. I going to include some links to the oil guy site for anyone interested in researching this further.

This is the link to the oil guy forum area. http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

This is the link to the specific area where Auto-Rx is frequently discussed (Additive, Fuels, Oil, Cleaners). http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=5

I won't include any links to the Auto-Rx website since they are not a sponsor of this website. You can find links to it at the oil guy site. A-Rx does have a forum on their website. There is a lot of open discussion on that forum, which I find interesting. The inventor and owner moderates the website. You can actually talk to the owner. And he doesn't delete negative posts about his product.

Auto-Rx also comes with a money back guarantee. If it doesn't meet your expectations, get your money back.

I'll try to briefly explain how A-Rx works. A-Rx is an ester that slowly dissolves carbon and sludge. As a vehicle ages, minute amounts of carbon can wedge between the rings and the lands. This restricts the flexibility of the rings. Motor oil by itself does not clean very effectively. Synthetic oils do clean to a minor amount, but the cleaning ability is not strong enough to dissolve carbon. A-Rx will dissolve the carbon over time, freeing up the rings.

As far as my qualifications, I mentioned that I'm a Chemical Engineer. I'm not representing myself as an lubricating oil expert. Engineers tend to be skeptical, and conservative. And I certinaly fit that stereotype. Thats why I mentioned it. But having taken many courses in organic chemistry, physical chemistry, and many other scientific courses, I do have a certain understanding of how chemical reactions take place. And the explainations that A-Rx provides make sense to me.

Al, you make a good point about compression readings. Many users of A-Rx have taken before and after compression readings. In many cases, the readings are increased. I would have checked mine, but plug access is very tight.

Also, I switched from synthetic to dino to save money. I was changing the Mobil 1 every 5000 miles, and went to a 3000 miles change with the dino.

Al, if you look at the oil guy site, there is an Amsoil dealer whose screen name is Pablo. Chat with him about Auto-Rx. He can tell you about the benefits of A-Rx even when using quality synthetic oils.

edit: how do you post links?

Back