• Register Today It's free!

Auto trans service

vettman

Reaction score
City, State
clifton, va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
My daughter has a 2002 Explorer, V6, 4X4 with auto trans. In looking through her maintenance booklet, at the interval for fluid changes it lists several transmissions (I think the booklet covers pickups, too). How do I find out which auto trans is in her vehicle, and what is the time/mileage interval for fluid change? Also, should we get a trans. flush, too? One final question, I can't find a recommended mileage/time interval for replacing the serpentine belt. Thanks for helping me help my daughter.

The tranny is recomended to be serviced every 24K to 30K miles. I'd reomend sticking to regular tranny service (drop pan, replace filter, refill, etc..) every 25K miles. Flushing the tranny will replace all the old fluid, but replacing the filter is more important than just flushing the fluid. As for the serp. belt, there is no mileage/time recomendation for rplacement. Replacement is based on a visual inspection. Look at the ribed side of the belt for cracks. If there are any cracks in the belt its time for replacement.

Thanks

Thanks Mike

I too have a 2002 Explorer 4X4 auto trans...the maintenance interval says to service it after 150,000 miles. The trans is sealed from the factory and doesn't have a dipstick.

Back