Average MPG for the '02 owners?

explorer4x493

Reaction score
City, State
Edmond, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited 4x4 V8
Average MPG for the '02-'05 4.0 owners?

Mines a 2002 xlt 2wd, and the sticker that came on the vehicle quoted an average between 13-19 city, and 18-24 highway. Just wondering if these numbers have proven accurate to those with similar trims (if the trim type even matters). I have new 255/70/16 tires on, and to my understanding the stock size is 235/70/16? That made the current ones taller right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A 255 tire will be wider than a 235 tire, but with all else being equal it will be about the same diameter. I just got my 2005 XLT a week ago, so I can't really comment on mpg. I did fill up last Friday and hand calculated 17.88 mpg in suburban driving, but I'm not sure if dealer filled the tank fully. I'll chime back in on this after I fill up again.

I have a 2002 EB V6 and I get around 17.2 MPG (that's a mix of city/highway).

On our 02 XLT we get 19mpg on mostly city driving. Don't really know what highway is, havent calculated it in a while.

When the fuel light comes on, does it still mean that you have approx 50 miles to empty?

My 2002 which has over 100000 now and getting tuned up Now... gets about 15 average. between highway and city..
Yuck but i put tires bigger than stock so that helps destroy it a bit...
would be very happy if i can get at least 18.
considering my 1995 is barely at 11MPG.

The check guage light is on now. I'm assuming that i will get close to 50 more miles like i did with my '96 limited...thoughts?

explorer4x493 said:
The check guage light is on now. I'm assuming that i will get close to 50 more miles like i did with my '96 limited...thoughts?

Dude it's your third post in 2 different threads that your light is on. Go fill it up and subtract the total you put in from the capacity of the tank and you will find out how much is left when "your" light comes on. :thumbsup:

I noticed that to earlier..

Just fill up when you hit quarter tank. and do not worry about the light... never any good to let it go that empty..

MonumentalX said:
Dude it's your third post in 2 different threads that your light is on. Go fill it up and subtract the total you put in from the capacity of the tank and you will find out how much is left when "your" light comes on. :thumbsup:

And i thought it was a pretty simple question, but obviously has no absolute answer. Good idea though...thanks

I've got a 02 4x4 with 65000 miles and I get 15mpg no matter what, AC / no AC, city or hwy. I just put on an K&N air intake and a gibson exhaust, so I am hopeing to get even 1 or 2 mpg more.

I get about 18mpg in my 2004 V6. I just starting using the Flex Fuel E85 gas, it's too early to judge the gas mileage on that. So far it's about the same, although I've heard from people that it usually gets lower mpg (1 - 2 less) than regular octane does. We'll see.

Our '02 Explorer Limited 4.6 V8 gets about 16-17 mpg on the computer for a mix of city and highway when paying attenion. It is dead stock except Mobil 1. On the highway cruising at 72-76 mph with a decent load we regularly get about around 19.0-19.5 per tank on the On Board Computer even with a number of mountain passes. The best I have ever seen was tick over 22 mpg for about 40 miles on the start of a tank when I got stuck in a slow line of traffic running about 60 on a two lane PA state highway but it got sucked back down to the 19s for the whole tank when I got back up to speed on an open road.

This is my first vehicle with an OBC that constantly calcs mileage and I was so abhored with the 13s and 14s I got when bought it that I did my best to smooth out my driving style on the open road and the city. I still get about 11 towing the racecar and trailer and about 12 with the open trailer and would love to improve that but that may not be possible. I used to have a V10 Dodge pickup that got 9-11 mpg all the time but I have to use the Explorer more and try not to through too much money into the tank. I buy the cheapest regular gas I can find.

My '02 XLT 2wd 4.0L gets 14-16 MPG in town and 20-22 MPG highway. Also, it gets about 16 MPG while towing my 2900 lb. (gross weight) tent trailer.

Tech

11mpg

WTF. i got a 02 V8 and the computer tells me 11mpg! I'm not that aggressive and its a mix of highway and city. on a tank i get about 200-210miles and that's from full tank to fumes. Is there something wrong with my car? How the heck are your mpg so much better then mine. The only thing i tow is me :confused:

Have an '02 4.0 and I'm usually averaging 18 mpg, city and highway

This isnt a 02, But my '04 4.6 AWD 3.55 = 13.1 mpg, mix.

Ouch...

well i filled 'er up. 22.5 gallons and all. got close to empty, then filled back up. i divided the number of gallons i filled back up by the number of miles i had driven, and got 15.2........this was a mix between city/highway. maybe next will be better. i did run alot of a/c though...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

explorer4x493 said:
well i filled 'er up. 22.5 gallons and all. got close to empty, then filled back up. i divided the number of gallons i filled back up by the number of miles i had driven, and got 15.2........this was a mix between city/highway. maybe next will be better. i did run alot of a/c though...

Sounds about right. On the highway at 60 the mileage can be 22-23 or so (just need to find a highway were the traffic actually goes 60 and not 75...).

Back