Awd Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Awd Swap

Reaction score
City, State
sioux falls, south dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 5.0
YES i know search, but i couldns find anything on and awd-4x4 swap that is electronic, as in factory stuff, not NOT a floor shift, thanks o and its goin in a 99 mounty 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does that thread turn into an install of a BW4406, because it starts out as a BW4405 swap, which is not the best way, now. I plan to do the BW4406 swap some day, maybe soon. Regards,

That's the one I read recently. Are you going to do the manual version of that Jon, with shifter?

I thought I had read that. I'd like the 2WD just for mileage if it really improves it. The idea of losing several gallons of gas by using a Sport tank is the only drawback I saw.

Oh yeah. I forgot V8BB went with push-button. :cool:

with the 4406 and 2wd it feels like a completely different truck, a completely different and far superior truck.

AWD is for the birds, 2wd = gas mileage and power, 4 hi is *****in in the ice or snow, and 4 low is LOW on these cases......transformed my Ex from boring to *****in

the earlier you do it the more $$$ on gas you save for other mods hahahaha

Same here, my radio and console are both out, plus I need some suspension work, and shocks, etc.

I was pleased to see in my 98 dash the 4WD wiring, the three connectors anyway. Hopefully mine can be wired up easily like some others had.

One question, the brown wire 2WD switching. Is that for disconnecting the wire, grounding it, or what? I had never paid any attention to the details of that before. I will need a new 4WD bezel, and carbon fiber painting, so I should plan a switch beforehand. Regards,

Back