awd to 4wd | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

awd to 4wd

bulldawg1081

Reaction score
City, State
Tulia, TX (in the Amarillo/Lubbock tx area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer sport.
are there any of you guys on here that have converted there awd exploder to part time 4wd? im looking for someone with experience that would either do the job or could assist me in doing it. ive been trying to find 410fortune but he hasnt been on in a couple of years

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I'm close to starting mine and I just moved back to canyon tx, and my friend has a few manual t-cases. It shouldn't be hard to do just a matter of locating all the parts and doing it.

Your info says you have a 91 sport I didn't think they had awd then.

I've got a 91 sport with a 4.0 and a manual but I've also acquired a 99 explorer 5.0awd that's in rough shape cosmetically but great shape mechanically.... I live in Tulia just 30 miles south of you

Ok cool I know he has a 1356 manual shift that works great we just pulled it, and a np205 or I think he has an extra one or two I'm going with the 205 it doesn't have as good of a low range but if I can get the 5 speed done I won't need to worry.

It needs to be the 4406 case out of a 97 to 03 f150 to be a direct swap for the transmission

Not true but ok.

If you know something I don't let's hear it, I'm trying to get this all figured out before I dive in head first

How is the frame clearance with the 205?

From my mock ups and test fits it fits in there nicely but I did it with a 5 speed, I still need to locate the front drive and make a decision on staying fi or carb once I start officially doing my conversion I'll take pics and do a write up on it. But the np205 is smaller than the 1356 and the 4406 yes it is heavier but it's hard to tear up and has the twin stick option if wanted.

What would be the most Simple swap for me with the least amount of modification?

Back