AWD Transfer Case (02 Mountaineer) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD Transfer Case (02 Mountaineer)

heathwcasey

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Automobile:
2002 Mercury Mountaineer (2nd owner, bought w/ 20,000 miles)
AWD V6 (not flex)
145,000 miles
Had transmission rebuilt 2 years ago at 110,000 miles.

Problem:
My auto has clicking and binding sounds coming from the front end when turning slow (forward or reverse). It is becoming more severe. The vehicle operates great while driving forward or turning more gradual at faster speeds

Diagnostics:
I have replaced both upper control arms on my front end (they needed it regardless).
I replaced the driver side CV axle, which got rid of the clicking sound for a couple weeks. It has since returned.
I took out the front drive shaft and the auto did not have any issues. All binding/clicking on slow turns disappeared. I replaced this drive shaft, but as soon as it was installed the binding/clicking returned.

Conclusion:
After studying forums, I am concluding that my transfer case is the culprit.

Need HELP:
That being the case (please let me know if you disagree), how hard is it to take out the transfer case and install a refurbished one? Anyone do this? Anyone know of a video or installation manual?

It looks like to me I can find refurbished transfer cases for around $600-$800 with warranty. Anyone have any good leads on this?

I think it is the viscous coupling that has failed. Is that easy to replace?

Thanks!

Heath W.

Back