Transfer case clunk? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case clunk?

dukenilnil

Reaction score
I have a clunk when I accelerate and when I stop with the front drive shaft installed. I replaced the front drive shaft with a new shaft but it still clunks. Driving without the front drive shaft installed removes the clunk. The confounding thing is the boot on the front drive shaft looks broken (see below for pics), so I was sure this is was the problem. What could other sources of the clunk be? There is also a clicking/clunking noise occassionally when turning hard to the left and a wobble sound coming from the front driver's side.

Could the old drive shaft with the damaged CV boot be so broken it ruined the transfer case or something else?

Is the driveshaft definitely broken and need replacement if it doesn't have the rubber boot?

http://mountaineer1997.shutterfly.com/

Thanks!

Hello did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the same problem with the clunk and am not sure on what to do>

when i first bought my 92 EX i had a loud clunk/bang and it ended up being one of my radius arm bushings was missing bought the new one 8$ at autozone and no more clunk

Ended up being both the transfer case and the front drive shaft. Replaced the TC with as low mileage of a used TC I could find and did the job with the help of 1 other person.

Back