AWD V8 Gen II Sport Trac questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD V8 Gen II Sport Trac questions

c@rz

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
I have been searching for a 2008-2010 AWD V8 Adrenalin for a few months now.
I found a OH dealership that has sold three. (I Know because I have been speaking with them and about to buy an 08 STA).
All three STA from this dealership and other STA's for sale seem to have a few things in common. Most/all are AWD V8 from Canada.
Question: Why AWD V8 from Canada? This seems common.

Any light on this would be appreciated! (Just curios )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be for the simple reason that the truck is in high demand in that area, and they are simply purchasing from Canada (where the truck is more readily available) and bringing to the states to sell.

Just an FYI: They call the STA AWD, but it is actually just full-time automatic 4x4, with the option to lock the diff. through the cluster menu.

Thanks

Makes sense.
My guest was the weather/terrain could be the reason AWD STA was so prevalent in Canada.

Dealers are buying because Canada is considered a gray market and they can get the trucks cheaper then the US.

I'm paying $16k for a loaded (-heated seats) 2008 STA 115k.
Dealer paid $13,100.. :(

Lock Diff

Could be for the simple reason that the truck is in high demand in that area, and they are simply purchasing from Canada (where the truck is more readily available) and bringing to the states to sell.

Just an FYI: They call the STA AWD, but it is actually just full-time automatic 4x4, with the option to lock the diff. through the cluster menu.

Lock diff??? Front or back or both??

Makes sense.
My guest was the weather/terrain could be the reason AWD STA was so prevalent in Canada.

Dealers are buying because Canada is considered a gray market and they can get the trucks cheaper then the US.

Generally speaking, our vehicles are more expensive here in Canada than in the US. The price you've mentioned above sounds about right.

The average price of a 2008 - 2010 STA here in Ontario is $22k. I paid $25k for my 2010 STA last February, with 93k km, navigation and a set of winter tires (which would be considered a fairly good deal here)

Dealer in Alliance, OH? Saw that one, good find.

There was a thread here not too long ago about how 'easy' it is to add heated seats to the Adrenalin. Evidently the truck has (or should have) the heated seat element already in the seat under the leather. The wires were cut by the assembly line or whatever. So the challenge is to fix the wires & add the dash switches. Believe all wiring/relays/etc are in place under the flooring and in the dash. Don't quote me on the specifics, but it seemed fairly strait forward. (mine came with heated seats so I have no first-hand)

I don't see the seat memory switch on this black one. Was it only available with the optional 10-way drivers seat?

I remember just a few months ago all I could find were V6's in Florida and other southern states. Now that I look I see nothing but V8's from Canada as well. Weird indeed. Side comment for anyone wondering WTF I am talking about - if you put the VIN in the Ford window sticker tool, it will have text that says the truck isn't intended for sale or registration in the US.

Edit:
Heated seat thread I mentioned:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373580&highlight=heated

Sta

Dealer in Alliance, OH? Saw that one, good find.

There was a thread here not too long ago about how 'easy' it is to add heated seats to the Adrenalin. Evidently the truck has (or should have) the heated seat element already in the seat under the leather. The wires were cut by the assembly line or whatever. So the challenge is to fix the wires & add the dash switches. Believe all wiring/relays/etc are in place under the flooring and in the dash. Don't quote me on the specifics, but it seemed fairly strait forward. (mine came with heated seats so I have no first-hand)

I don't see the seat memory switch on this black one. Was it only available with the optional 10-way drivers seat?

I remember just a few months ago all I could find were V6's in Florida and other southern states. Now that I look I see nothing but V8's from Canada as well. Weird indeed. Side comment for anyone wondering WTF I am talking about - if you put the VIN in the Ford window sticker tool, it will have text that says the truck isn't intended for sale or registration in the US.

Edit:
Heated seat thread I mentioned:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373580&highlight=heated

I only see the 10-way seat, no memory.

Thank you for helpful and kind with your post.

I have purchased the STA from Loudon Motors in Alliance, OH.
The truck turned out very nice with minor issues.
But overall, great truck.

I'm checking into the heated seats and let you guys know what I find.

caarz and c@rz is both my account, it's a mix up on the forum (Just FYI).

I have purchased the STA from Loudon Motors in Alliance, OH.
The truck turned out very nice with minor issues.
But overall, great truck.

I'm checking into the heated seats and let you guys know what I find.

caarz and c@rz is both my account, it's a mix up on the forum (Just FYI).

Congrats! Let's see some pics.

Thanks!

Congrats! Let's see some pics.

Thanks! And to the helpful posts, thank you guys for posting helpful information!

This is my fourth Sport Trac but my "First" Gen II. BTW, I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!

I'll post pics later, the weather is messy here.

My 08 was purchased right up the coast from Seattle in Vancouver, BC and licensed for the State of Wa. BC Generally has rougher weather than here in Seattle, thus the 4x4.

A pic!!

I love my truck!!!
20141220_103440_zpsykcryd1p.jpeg.html

I bought mine from Superior Auto sales near Buffalo NY. and it was from Canada. 08 V8 red STA. I paid $22 and it had 74,000 miles.
I need to add heated seats as well.

How can I post pictures? I don't have an option to post.

How can I post pictures? I don't have an option to post.

It's kind of complicated to post pics on this site... not sure why...

You'll have to load your pics to a third party web site like photobucket, then copy the link here...

Just describe your picture to us, it will be easier :D

Back