• Register Today It's free!

Bank 2???

konaboy

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I just want to make sure before I put a new O2 sensor in that bank 2 is the ehaust/cat coming off the driver side. My X threw code P0430 christmas day, I cleared it and it came back today so I figure it's time to replace the downstream O2 and it specified it was a problem in bank 2. Should this help my MPG if the sensor is bad? I replaced my plugs and wires(motocraft), air filter and cleaned my MAF and I'm still only getting 14.6 mpg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup a 97 came with 3 different engines.
Which one do you have?

Bank 1 (cyl 1-3 or 1-4) is the pass side
Bank 2 (cyl 4-6 or 5-8) is the drvr side.

To me this code is not saying your 02 sensor is not working, in fact it is doing its job and telling you your bank 2 cat converter is not burning all that it should (might need a new cat not 02 sensor)

4.0L SOHC

I guess I figured the sensor was the cheaper of the two to start with $50 vs $200+ for a cat hoping it might just be a faulty sensor.

well the catalyst monitor 02 sensors (downstream) dont do much other then check the catalyst efficiency.
I would do like you did before, clear the code and see if it comes back, it could have been a fluke or what we call a driveability issue that may not show its head again for another 4 months

This is the second time it threw the same code in 3 months. By driveability issue what do you mean? Both times it was while driving for 20 minutes or at 50-70mph. In December it was 10 degrees outside today it was 80.

So should I give it a go replacing the sensor or take it to a shop to have the converter checked.

Does the downstream sensor have any affect on engine idle or mpg? I read through my haynes manual last night and it doesn't really say.

konaboy said:
So should I give it a go replacing the sensor or take it to a shop to have the converter checked.

Does the downstream sensor have any affect on engine idle or mpg? I read through my haynes manual last night and it doesn't really say.
Try switching the upstream and downstream sensors with each other. If the code changes, you have a bad sensor. If not, you have a bad cat

Question for this group. How did you get to the passenger side, pre-cat, 02 sensor? I can see it, I can touch it, but I'll be danged if I can get the special 7/8 deep socket w/ groove for the wires on to the sensor. Then there will be the delema of how to get the socket wrench in there with enough room to actually turn it! Any suggestions would be appreciated before I crack my knuckles!

Back