Battery Died temporarily, now working fine... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Died temporarily, now working fine...

nmaranda23

Reaction score
City, State
Encinitas, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer Sport
I recently went to start my 99 Explorer Sport, only to find I had a dead battery. I had not left on anything that would rob the battery of power, but gave it a jump and started up fine. After a drive of about 30 miles, I tried starting it again after a day of work only to find the battery had died again. Jumped battery again, and drove home fine. The next day, I went to change out my battery and found it started up right away, no problem. It's been about 5 days and I have had no electrical issues whatsoever.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem or anyone see any potential problem lying ahead? Anyone else have similar encounters?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently went to start my 99 Explorer Sport, only to find I had a dead battery. I had not left on anything that would rob the battery of power, but gave it a jump and started up fine. After a drive of about 30 miles, I tried starting it again after a day of work only to find the battery had died again. Jumped battery again, and drove home fine. The next day, I went to change out my battery and found it started up right away, no problem. It's been about 5 days and I have had no electrical issues whatsoever.

Any suggestions as to what may be the problem or anyone see any potential problem lying ahead? Anyone else have similar encounters?

Happened to me once. I had the Ex inside the garage for a few months (in storage). Eventually when I tried starting it, the battery was dead. A quick boost / jump start allowed the truck to start without a problem

When you jumped yours and drove it for 30 miles, it probably wasn't enough to restore the battery's full charge - that's why yours died again after parking it.

My battery was more than 5 years old when this happened, and now it's about 7 years old (or two years) after the incident without any additional issues. Make sure your cables, terminals and connections are all good. Search for the "big three" wiring upgrade.

Welcome to the forum! I agree, start with the terminals.

Its also a good to check the water level once in a while.

mine did the same. the positive terminal was corroded

I agree to start with the terminals. Use a terminal brush tool. If you have a Sears close they, they will load test the battery, clean and spray the terminals all for $10.

Had the same problem, would be great for months then dead, jump it and it would be fine for months, did all the corrosion and water level, got fed up and put in a optima yellow top, found a guy near me that has a uncle that works for optima and got the yellowtop for $100, its over a year and no problens even on the coldest days.

Back