• Register Today It's free!

Battery Light on 04

faberj

Reaction score
City, State
White Bear Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I have a 2004 explorer with 4wd and 4.0 engine with 98,500 on it. I recently brought it to the dealer for routine maintenance I had a good coupon otherwise most of it I would have done. Anyway, they said the battery light came on. During normal driving it does not but if you put push it hard it will. They thought it was probably the alternator and for $90 they would check it out. I brought it to a local auto parts store and for free was told battery was 100% charged and the alternator checked out OK. The alternator is original and the belt was replaced with a Ford OEM belt at 78,000 so it has 20,000 on it. Does not show any signs of wear from what I can tell. Again during normal driving the light does not come on, only when hard pressed. I was wondering about maybe replacing the automatic tensioner or even the belt thinking it could be slipping. If I replaced either one would you go to ford for the parts or where would you go for them. Or should I leave well enough alone for now.Thanks for any comments.

Back