Battery Management System / State of Charge accuracy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Battery Management System / State of Charge accuracy?

metroplex

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Using FORScan or another scan tool capable of reading BCM PIDs, I noticed the SOC and battery voltage being very different from actual instrumentation used on the battery. My onboard BMS will say that my battery is only 69% SOC with a voltage of 11.9-12.0 VDC whereas my multimeter shows 12.6-12.8 VDC and my Battery Tender just goes into maintenance mode after checking the battery (suggesting it is topped off so it goes into 13.2 VDC at 50mA-150mA maintenance mode).

In the past with the factory battery in my 18 XLT, it will read 99% SOC after normal driving. Once I got a new Costco Interstate Group 65 and reset the BMS as per FSM instructions and charged the battery up, I'll only see the SOC hover around 69%-80% and the BMS voltage always shows low.

I don't experience any issues or error messages. I'm just noticing the BMS data isn't quite right. My 2017 Fusion Sport has shown similar issues with the BMS.

Has anyone else encountered something similar?

Back