• Register Today It's free!

Battery or Alternator?

ccm2001

Reaction score
City, State
Vaughan Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
So I go to start my car . all power works fine radio lights etc..
So I crank her sound like she wants to turn over then dies half way trough of being fully on. Almost like a sputter. Felt like it wasn't getting any gas.

So I hit the fuel reset. Nothing...

Then I got a boost from another vehicle and it started fine?? Now its been 3 days and starts no problem?

Maby battery is drained or alternator is dieng slowly?

No battery lights came on?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

was it cold out?

From my experience with these trucks, if it is the alternator, you will get some dash flash, some light or gauge indicator this part is failing. For my 2000 the dash light would flicker at idle, when the alternator was pushing out the lowest amps.

Heck, I was glad it was the alternator, a Junkyard alternator was $30 and it was only a year old remanufactured one replacing a 14 year old part. The battery is more expensive to me.

Ya I figured a alternator problem would be more problematic like lights flashing etc..

But my battery says sept 2013 on it?? Should still be good . but who knows its a walmart brand

al batteries fail at some point

I had a evermaxx go out in one month, and others in 8 years. Get it tested on a full charge and see if the battery is delivering the goods.

I had a evermaxx go out in one month, and others in 8 years. Get it tested on a full charge and see if the battery is delivering the goods.
Will do yah its a evermaxx . trickle charging it over night

Thanks

Check all connections and cables as well. Bad connection/cable can easily present symptoms of a failed battery or alternator.

I did last night took them all off cleaned them with sand paper. And greased the outside of them for protection

They were all mint and clean

AutoZone can run a diagnostic to test the battery and alternator. They are not typically as good at interpreting the results as a good mechanic, or preferably an armature shop, but it can be a good start.

Mike

Check battery and replace if necessary

I had my battery on my '02 XLT start acting like that and i waited till it died to replace it. About 6 weeks later my alternator died. No warning on the dash gauge it showed fine until i was driving down the road and the lights flashed and started shutting down. Car kept running a little longer but had no power. I was able to get a jump and head home as i wasn't far. Upon arriving home, I put a voltmeter across the battery and found the alternator was not charging. A test of the alternator at the parts shop confirmed it was dead. A good alternator will put out ~14.5v and not rise above 14.8v when the engine is revved.

Be careful running your car on a weak battery. The alternator relies on battery voltage for the field coils and will put excess strain on the alternator windings/regulator.

George

Battery is fully charged not that. Must be the alternator slowley dieng.

When I'm using my power windows or sunroof I notice the lights dim for that moment . is that a sign of what?

Must be the alternator slowley dieng.

When I'm using my power windows or sunroof I notice the lights dim for that moment . is that a sign of what?

I would say "bad alternator" by the way the lights dim with the extra current/amps draw. The alternator can't keep up with the higher amp load.

I got a digital volt reader but it only picks up OHMs?? Says 16.66. No other setting works

Back