Beefing Up My Crossmemeber | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Beefing Up My Crossmemeber

Hey guys, I don't post around here much anymore. But have a question that you all would be very able to answer.

I need to beef up my tranny crossmemeber abit. I'm going to run a vertical piece up the frame rail starting at the tranny crossmember. The entire crossmember, including the RA mount portion is bolted together. The load should transfer to it just as it would if I started the extra support at the 2x6 portion. Am I correct with this thinking? I was thinking and three bolts in on the vertical portion like the cage ra mounts. Think this will work the way I want it to?

Paint-O-Cad version :D
xmember.JPG

I have the material to make a 6" vertical part as well if that would work better.

As it sits now
DSC00578.JPG

I'm not sure why it needs to be that beefy, but It will work just fine.... I would definately make that vertical side pieces go down and enclose the sides of the horizontal crossmember. Weld them together. Then you can slide it up the frame rail and bolt it in. Does that make sense?

It's not shown in that pic but the two horizontal pieces are bolted together now. I will enclose the 2x4, it'll keep it from collecting a bunch of crap and make it sturdier. Probably will want to do the 2x6 portion as well, somewhere in the middle cause I still need to be able to unbolt the RA mounts.

Thanks!!!

I would also put sleeves in the 2x4 and 2x6 where you put bolts through it. If you don't you can and will crush/flatten it.

Back